003 autotrans-how much power can it stand?

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
Zaphod Beetlebrox

003 autotrans-how much power can it stand?

Post by Zaphod Beetlebrox »

Hallo from "across the pond" (aka Europe).
I have a ´68 VW 411 with an 003 automatic trans.
When restauration is done , the car should be hopped-up with a 2,0 litre
Type 4 engine out of a Porsche 914 , that should be bored to 2,4 l , with
ported 914/2,0 litre heads,42/36mm (stock size) valves and a torque-cam
(aiming for ~150 hp and mucho torque).
the original 003 trans should be replaced with a later 003 version, out of
a rusted-to-death ´74 VW 412 LS (85 eurospec HP).
My question is now:
-Can the 003 autotrans survive ~150 HP (steet use only; no dragracing)?
-Are there high-performance parts avialible?
-If yes, who makes/sells them?
-What 003 trans version (they were used in the Type 3 and in the Type 2
from 1971-1973 with an 1,7 l/62 (euro-)hp, respectively 1,8 l / 68hp)
is the best/strongest version for my project?

best regards , Frank
Stray Catalyst

Re: 003 autotrans-how much power can it stand?

Post by Stray Catalyst »

If you're talking about the trans that is usually called autostick in this country - it's not likely to survive 150 HP for long, even if you're gentle with it. It was okay when treated gently, and coupled with a 1500SP, but your 2.4l type 4 will kill it in a hurry.

I'm not an expert, you may get better answers from others - but I've seen very few cars with bigger engines that use the stock autostick for anything at all. That being said, I have one in my 1970 Beetle (with stock engine, driven gently) and it's not bad, though it's a bit heavier and less efficient than a manual trans.

Stray
trbugman

Post by trbugman »

No it is a real automatic transmission. If it is the same as was used in Type 3's then they are known the be very strong. The only issue might be getting a good vacuum signature for it to shift properly.
2333(103x70) Type 4 DTM MS3+X on 73 Karmann Ghia ignition only with LS2 truck coils firing in sequential, fuel next.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

If you bolt the beefier audi 5000 turbo transmission on the vw diff it's been used at >500++ hp.
Make sure to replace the seal between the diff and the trans proper, gear oil and atf mixing lead to trans fail.

Later model units as on a Vanagon or Golf (to ~1992ish?) use an arm connected to the throttle to govern shift points vs the vacuum modulator used on the early units.

Not sure if the later non-vacuum governor setup can be retrofitted (the whole non-diff part does swap)

There is a manual valve body kit.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
creber1951

Post by creber1951 »

Yes-you can use your 003 auto with that much power.I have one in a Beetle with a 2.7 lt fuel injected Type 4 putting out over 250 hp and it's been working OK for 7 years as a daily driver with a lot of Drag Race meets as well.I had the auto overhauled by a bloke who does them for VW Buses that have Subi conversions.He uses different band and clutch materials and boosts up the working pressures.Any good trans bloke should be able to do that for you.