Help needed with nose cone comparisons

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
theKbStockpiler

Help needed with nose cone comparisons

Post by theKbStockpiler »

I'm researching what transaxle to use in a type 1 and photos of the different nose cones of type 1 , 914 and 901/911 would help. Is anyone aware of any good links?

Thanks in advance! :D
Super beetle with attitude
theKbStockpiler

Iv'e got it now!

Bus transaxle shift shafts are up high ,Type 1s are more toward the middle(but still pretty high) and 911s are at the bottom of the nose cone. All 914s have a side shifter either mounted in the middle or on the side of the nose cone. :mrgreen:
Marc

Re: Help needed with nose cone comparisons

Post by Marc »

The hockey stick is higher on the `61-`72 Type I/III than on the `60-`67 (swingaxle/reduction-gear) Type II.

Type I/III:
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=htt ... -2.jpg&f=1

Type II:
http://www.themetricnut.co.nz/shop/imag ... 00x500.JPG

Because the hockeystick is lower on the Type II, it has to have an extra bend in it at the business end to align with the shift rails - you MUST use a Type I/III hockeystick in a Type I/III nosecone, and a Type II hockeystick in a Type II nosecone.

Porsche trans pictures at http://www.californiamotorsports.net/901.htm
Last edited by Marc on Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
theKbStockpiler

Thanks for the Help! :D
Casting Timmy

Post by Casting Timmy »

How many type 1 nose cones are there out there?

Early swing - no reverse switch hole and 2 bolts for mount no front seal from factory

Early IRS - Reverse Switch and 2 bolts with front seal
Early 3 hole - Reverse switch and 3 bolts with front seal
Late 3 hole - Reerse switch and switch on side and 3 bolts with front seal

The 3 bolts have the correct support for the main style mainshaft bearings and support for the pinion bearing. Earlier nose cones can be opened up for the late bearing, but don't have the support for the press in style pinion bearing.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Casting Timmy wrote:How many type 1 nose cones are there out there? ...
The "two-bolt" comes in many forms. Some have 113 casting numbers, some are 131, and I think I recall seeing 311 - but they all have the same basic dimensions, the differences are in the diameter of the mount-stud holes, the presence of the seal and backup light switch, and other switches used by the engine management/emissions control systems (Neutral & 4th gear switches).
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

The type 4 manual trans is also at the very bottom for the hockey stick just like the Porsche. Ray
Casting Timmy

Post by Casting Timmy »

Early swing - no reverse switch hole and 2 bolts for mount no front seal from factory
??? swing - reverse switch hole and 2 bolts for mount, no internal stops for pinion shaft bearing (made to work with pinion shaft that has nut)
Early IRS - Reverse Switch and 2 bolts with front seal
??? IRS - Reverse switch and side switch (Use?) and 2 bolts and front seal

Early 3 hole - Reverse switch and 3 bolts with front seal
Late 3 hole - Reverse switch and side switch and 3 bolts with front seal

The 3 bolts have the correct support for the main style mainshaft bearings and support for the pinion bearing. Earlier nose cones can be opened up for the late bearing, but don't have the support for the press in style pinion bearing.

I need to investigate a couple later style 2 bolt nose cones that have the side switches to see which mainshaft bearing they are made for from the factory. I assume these are for the 002 or 091 bearing on the mainshaft, but maybe were for a different vehicle than the beetles? Did Things stay with 2 bolt nose cones???

Also have heard that the tunnel case swings can be used in crash box applications by running an early T2 nose cone and hockey stick (Bus with swing and GRB's)
Marc

Post by Marc »

Casting Timmy wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:26 pm..Also have heard that the tunnel case swings can be used in crash box applications by running an early T2 nose cone and hockey stick (Bus with swing and GRB's)
Yes, the height difference between the hockey-stick and the mount pad is almost perfectly taken care of with this combination. 1960 Beetles have a unique front mount setup so they have to have the bracket scarfed off of the rear torsion housing and a later (or earlier, if you're gonna use the Bus nosecone) one welded on.

Some might tell you that it isn't necessary to use the `60-`67 Bus hockey stick, but it is - the business end where it engages the shift rails is crooked over slightly so that it engages them properly. A "Bug" hockey stick in a Bus nosecone will tend to rake the adjacent rail - if adjusted perfectly it almost works, but not really.

Either VW originally intended to introduce the tunnel trans in the Beetle first or it's just an exception to the convention, but for some reason the `60-`67 Type II hockey stick carries a "Beetle" part number - even though its shift-coupler grubscrew divot is on the bottom. One of life's little mysteries.

Here they are side-by-side (Bug on left, Bus on right): Image