will not shift into any gear

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
Marc

Re: will not shift into any gear

Post by Marc »

One solution is the bushing, the other is to machine the flywheel opening out to accept the needle bearings. Back in my day, nearly everyone used the bushings - I heartily recommend the bearings instead, good to hear that they're more popular now.
volkaholic1

Post by volkaholic1 »

I finally got the engine back in, wired up, and fired up. THE CAR MOVED UNDER ITS OWN POWER! IT'S ALIVE!! OK, so it took me from July to November, I'm slow. Moral of the story, I need to start the car and move it at least in and out of the garage 1 a month during the winter. Thank you for all your help. I would never have guessed the clutch disc could rust to the flywheel. But I will certainly remember it for the future.
volkaholic1

Post by volkaholic1 »

hey, it has been 4 years, guess what it happened AGAIN. OK, I have a 2 liter type iv engine in my bug. I run the stock vw bus 210 clutch/flywheel/ disc set up. I have had this setup for like 15 years. 4 years ago, the disc stuck to the flywheel, had to pull the engine and pry it off, I cleaned it all up, put it back and all has been good. I thought, once in a life time problem, well it did it again, I just pulled the engine and the disc is stuck hard to the flywheel, I really had to pry it off. once off, the disc looks fine, the flywheel and pressure plate have just what feels and looks like the most minor of rust, but it is obviously enough. so, before I put this back together, is there a better disc to run? should I put in a new stock 1, a different brand? I also plan on when I put it away for the winter, I think I am going to have to depress the clutch pedal and wedge a 2x4 or something in there to hold it depressed. this really is a pain. any ideas would be great, thanks
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Move to Arizona?
Drive it more often?
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

A nice coating of grease on the flywheel should take car of it!

I wonder why it doesn't want to stick to the pressure plate.
Marc

Post by Marc »

When you put it up, prop the clutch pedal down with a hunk of 2x4 against the driver's seat frame. Probably not the greatest for the diaphragm springs to sit depressed for a long time, but it'll keep the clutch from rusting together. Worst case, if the cover goes weak you'll need to pull the engine to replace it - but you would've had to do the labor anyway, and even a weakened cover should still be driveable until there's a convenient time to change it.