keep breaking 3.88 ring and pinions?

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
johnwalklett

keep breaking 3.88 ring and pinions?

Post by johnwalklett »

This is the second time I have broken a 3.88 rings and pinion in my pro drag spec gearbox in at 11 second street car.

What are my options to prevent this happening? can I get a better ring and pinion?
sideshow

Re: keep breaking 3.88 ring and pinions?

Post by sideshow »

Control (eliminate) wheel hop
Control clutch engagement
Lose weight
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
dangerous

Post by dangerous »

Keep it in mesh is the first step, do a search on here for a real good thread on that topic.

The other thing is to use a clutch that is not too agressive.

If you are having wheel hop and other issues,
it goes without saying that these issues should be addressed.

Too much clutch and poor mounting/wheel hop issues will break even the best trans.
Turbo_Manx_Maniac

Post by Turbo_Manx_Maniac »

Washington anti-shocker. Search for it, it works.

ACE was the last place I heard can hook you up, Berg doesn't have them anymore.

Also agree with the other guys, have to eliminate wheel hop and not have too much uncontrolled clutch.
I accidentally Googled my Twitter. (And I liked it)
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I have seen hydraulic TO setups using check valves and speed control needles/control solenoids so that in 1st the clutch release is slowed/consistent.

More complicated than the little shock absorber, but also won't wear out/adjustable.

The sintered iron "black magic" discs are heavy but also get mentioned a lot... slip a little when cold.
They do require periodic service (need sandblasted to remove the glaze) and may be hard on synchros.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
dunegoon

Post by dunegoon »

You have a lightened flywheel, right?
Weddle sells a custom 3.88 and they claim it's strong, but I haven't installed one yet. They also have a torsional input shaft.
Vehicle weight is always important.
Pablo2

Post by Pablo2 »

dangerous wrote:Keep it in mesh is the first step, do a search on here for a real good thread on that topic.
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 50&t=89944

It'll definitely help ..
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86
MinamiKotaro

Post by MinamiKotaro »

'67 Beetle, 2276
MS-1 v3.57
dragvw2180

Post by dragvw2180 »

You probably have seen many clutch management sytems but this is what I am using,

I found this relay ( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARC-1402/ ) to replace the delay box I am using now for a timer. If you are running a 2step you can control the CM system by connecting a wire from your 2step to the switch terminal on this relay. What will happen is that when you engage your 2step it will activate the relay and engage the CM system, when you release your 2step it will begin the timer (which is holding your CM system engaged ) for whatever time you put in it, mine is set for 1/2 second. This is not the amount of time your clutch slips but just the time the solinoid is engaged. My turbo car is a pure race vehicle and has alot of other things tied into it ( delay box, 2 linelocks, 2 step and the CM system) and I have everything operating from one button on my steering wheel. With this system it stages like every one elses car and when it releases you don't even know that it's there. The first time out it worked flawlessly and I made 7 passes without ripping a R/P out, previously I would get 1-2 passes. I am NOT trying to sell anything to anyone but just trying to help everyone to keep from breaking transmissions like I was. If anyone is interested I will draw up a schematic for them or take pictures of anything they want to see. Mike McCarthy
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Have a source/part#s for the adjustable release rate slave valve/solenoid setup?
(I asked, so you don't have to be shy :lol: )
The MS guys can drive that direct, nice.
I'll be considering doing something like that with a black magic disc to keep a 901 alive with a big motor RSN.
(first gear is only supported on one end...)

The STF isn't nasty to vendors by policy like some places, particularly if they contribute to the discussion as you are.

It's perfectly OK to add your company or personal website, (or even WTB/for sale stuff) in your .sig.
Information free full page ads are about the only thing that gets anyone really riled up around here.
If it's something cool/unusual and on topic, we want to see it by all means, even if you happen to be selling it.

Didn't see it on your website http://megamachineinc.com/
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
dragvw2180

Post by dragvw2180 »

I do not work for or have any business ties with MEGA MACHINE , I am just someone who got the chance to try a prototype valve from them and it worked perfectly. The way you see the valve setup in the pic is the way it comes from them. I drag race with SEVWA and I did a charity event in the winter, was parked next to David from MEGA and we talked about our cars and I mentioned that the CM I had wasn't doing what I wanted it to and it went from there. I believe their valve setup is about 250.00 and the timer I found on SUMMIT is 40.00. You can build a CM sytem cheaper but you will be using cheaper parts. The black valve I had was NOT made for brake fluid and was barely adjustable, this valve does not have those problems, same with the solinoid. If you look at the pic closely you will see how they plumbed it very cleanly, took time to do that. With the timer , If you contact Mike Chambers at the Ga Summit store he will give free shipping and handling, just tell him you saw him on the internet, nice guy too. I know this sounds like alot of money but it is alot better than having to rebuild your tranny and replace your trans case and R/P because you broke it.
If you have broken 2 R/Pinions in the same tranny case you probably have loosened the bore for the pinion bearing and it may need to be replaced. Again I am just trying to let everyone know what I have learned so they don't have to endure the irratation of breaking your trans on a regular basis. Mike McCarthy
fastback

Post by fastback »

swap (and burn the old) housing if this occurs.
Pablo2

Post by Pablo2 »

Mike .. I'd install one of those in a heartbeat, if I were still racing. Every little bit you can do helps.
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86
dragvw2180

Post by dragvw2180 »

I have been saving parts and slowing accumulating parts for my new ( 2387 turbo) street car and I will have this system on it also. This is not just for race cars but hot street cars that will see some hard launches also. Will I need it with street tires, maybe not, but its worth the money just so I don't have to worry about it. I hope this info helps at least one person out there. Mike McCarthy
Pablo2

Post by Pablo2 »

Well .. my opinion is that none of this (including my mods for limiting forward pinion movement) is of any value in a street car, regardless of horsepower. Launching with slicks and an aggressive clutch is what necessitates the extra effort & expense. JMHO
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86