What brand are you? (Tools that is)

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
plynch

cheap but good tool boxes

Post by plynch »

as abit of info, the harbor freight catalog sells a US GENERAL tool box that is powder coated, has dual ball bearing slides, casters that float over concrete shop floors like silk, it is the best box for the money hands down they sell it for $500, and if you watch you can pick it up for $300, this is a thick steel box, no junk despite the made in china sticker... i am a pro aircraft mech and this box holds all of my tools and my work sometimes... it is a bench top style box with 13 drawers.. just an opinion on boxes..
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/C ... pricetype=
AMSOIL DEALER...304-641-7398
MANN filters/NGK plugs
New type 4 heads at $500 ea shipped
bigbugman

Post by bigbugman »

I to am a professional knucklebuster ( mechanic ) and I have a lot of different brands. I like cornwell the best, I have had good luck and their prices are very reasonable compared to the other two. Craftsmen is good for general tools, anything precision I would definetly go with a "truck tool". Just my two cents, of course budget is a big deciding factor ( you should have seen my wifes face when I told her I bought an $8,000 tool box a few years ago). Just use what feels good to you.

P.S. S&K = slip and kill, ha ha.
Matt Keene

Post by Matt Keene »

In over twenty years of buying Sanpon tools I have only returned one tool! A Bluepoint automatic center punch.
For the past year I have been buying Mac tools. Returns so far: 3/8 drive micro ratchet, lasted 3 months of minimal use.
13mm ratchet head spanner. Again, lasted approx 3 months.
10mm ratchet spanner. Lasted two months.
17mm ratchet spanner. Lasted 3 months.
Led torch. Lasted 4 months.
Tool cart. It fell apart as I took it out of the new box! The roller bearing drawer just came off its runners and fell to the floor! It took Mac 2 months to replace it!
Brake pipe bending tool: broke the first time I used it on 3/8 pipe.
Cylinder Leak down testing tool: used 10 times and now leaks itself!
Thankfully, I now have a regular Snapon dealer visit. My experience with mac has been frustrating. The spanners took on average six weeks to replace. I am not a moaner, but when you pay high end prices you expect high end tools. :twisted:
Hank Winning

Post by Hank Winning »

Pulling wrenches as (ex)marine engineer working on the fishing fleet for 16 years
I'd buy a tool a month after I had my basic traveling set
I would upgrade to better brands replacing the ones that I used the most with Snap on- Craftsman- Hazet and Stahlwille
my torque wrenches are made by Warren & Brown Australia
1/4" inch pound/NM- 1/2" 10-200ftlbs- 3/4" 150-750ftlbs

a good magnetic pick up tool is a necessity when working near the bilge of boats I've spent a good amount of time looking for a Snap On 9/16 6point socket the dropped-

Buy a good brand and have them for a long time.

for the heavy duty jobs the better brand tools will save more knuckles

have fun when you get into the work force
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

i have had similar experiences with mac. i now only buy snap on and matco. it also helps that i get HUGE discounts...
BigGaluot

Post by BigGaluot »

Well since everybody has chimed in I guess I will too. I have had just about every kind of cheap tool as well as expensive one. I learned my lesson at 19 when I was working on a rear axel bearing of an old Oldsmobile. I had to remove 4 9/16ths head bolts. I had just bought my new craftsman tools. I still owed my dad money on them. Anyway the only socket I could use was a deep 9/16 3/8 drive. I broke one socket on each bolt. I couldn’t get an impact or a ½ drive socket on the bolt. My hand was hurt as well because when the socket broke my fist slammed in to the car. I had used all the extra sockets that sears had and still had four bolts to go. I saw a snap-on truck on my way back and hurting I went to see what he had that might work and if he was going to be around to replace them as they broke. He laughed and let me barrow the socket I needed. Told me if it broke that he would give it to me and that he would replace it with a new one. I still have that socket and the rest of the set as well as many others. The lesson was learned. It saved me time not having to go to the store and they didn’t break as often. When you are a working on flat rate time this stuff really maters. That was a long time ago in a small gas station garage. I later went on to be an A.S.E. master Tec In the dealerships. I have worked for Chevy and Ford. My honest suggestion is that you get the best tool you can. There is a difference craftsmen tools are good for the hobby guy but a pro needs pro tools. Cornwell makes a good tool at a good price. I have a lot of their impact stuff with no problems. SK tools are good ones too but a pain in the butt to find them if you need warranty.
Now as far a tool box. You need one that is big enough to hold your tools neatly. If you have the in a big pile you will waste time looking for them. Knowing were each tool in the box is will save you time. That means you can move faster and make money. Roller drawers are good but not needed at first because you will get a bigger box as you out grow the first one. One of the roll around carts is really nice for the most common tools you will need. Waterloo makes a nice box and is who makes them for craftsmen too. I have always felt that the big 12,000 dollar snap-on box was nice but it doesn’t make me money like the tools do
good luck
John W. Kelly

Post by John W. Kelly »

Another potential source are military bases. I live near Ft. Lewis, Washington. They have a sale of used equipment that they sell via auction (called DRMO). While I was stationed there, I picked up a Snap-On 1/4" socket set (missing two sockets) out of the scrap metal bin!! The general public can get in too.
bajamul

Post by bajamul »

i only use my tools around the house, but i use them a lot. i have been buying craftsman ever since my dad bought me my first tool set. it was craftsman so i just stuck with it when i needed new stuff. i bearly ever break anything and when i do break something it is while using the tool for something other than it was intended. though i like the tools, i am not very happy with my tool box. it just seems cheap to me. i have never had a toolbox of a different brand though. might be the same.
what year is it

Post by what year is it »

My dad had a 3/8 drive Craftsman ratchet that was older than I am( I'm 53). Well... it finally gave up having been covered in grease, washed out with gas , usual usage. We took it back to Sears, the guy looked at it, and said comically we don't have that model anymore. He went over and gave us a brand new ratchet that was comparable to it and we were on our way.
turboblue

Post by turboblue »

what year is it wrote:My dad had a 3/8 drive Craftsman ratchet that was older than I am( I'm 53). Well... it finally gave up having been covered in grease, washed out with gas , usual usage. We took it back to Sears, the guy looked at it, and said comically we don't have that model anymore. He went over and gave us a brand new ratchet that was comparable to it and we were on our way.
Did the clerk keep the old one?
It's probably on eBay if he did...........
Gary

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy
2013 Polaris Ranger 4x4
My Website
Shop Facebook Page
65baja

Post by 65baja »

If your interested in a new box the chest type at cummins tools is the best buy take a look around the bottom sides of the chest type boxes they have almost all of them are made by waterloo, now trot down the the sears store and take a look in the same place made by waterloo, now take a look at s-k boxes also made by waterloo, also check out the smaller boxes matco has also made by waterloo all of them are the same boxes but the one at cummins tools is like 200$ cheaper. I bought my first chest type from sears on sale cheaper than the one from cummins but only saw them that cheap once for an overstock sale or something. i rolled it around for 5 years never had a problem out of it.

just my 2cents

Joe
threedguru

Post by threedguru »

Ive got a set of Craftsman that I got from my grandpa had since he was in his teens(im 22 he was born in 1910). Best Damn tools period. Don't care what anyone says. Now i own a Craftsmen 540 piece set. Haven t broke one yet. its my daily mechanics set as well as my hobby set. Man i Love Craftsmen
otis

Post by otis »

My only gripe with Craftsman is that a broken ratchet is no longer replaced with a new one if they have any refurbished ones around. I pitched a fit the first time they tried to do that switch on me; got a new one from the tood dep't. manager, but he also informed me that standard policy was to use refurbished ones for replacements. I've found that Sears stores in smaller towns are more likely to give you a new one instead of a refurbished.
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

Another trick to that is to find a Western Auto store, they are owned by Sears, and carry Craftsman tools, and warranty them.
They usually do not have many returns, so when you bring one in , you will most likely get a new one off the shelf.

Rob
racelook

Post by racelook »

Mostly stahlwille, gedore and facom. For hamers and dollies is Picard the best ones I could find for an good price.

Wiebrand