What brand are you? (Tools that is)

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
volkenstein

Some of mine...

Post by volkenstein »

Stahlwille spanners and screwdrivers, The odd Snap-on gear, Koken sockets, Minimax Bits and odd stuff, Sidchrome & Bahco shifting spanners.

For one off's I'll buy the rubbish, but I'd rather save up money if the tool is going to see regular use and buy a quality one.

Volkenstein
Tom in PA

Post by Tom in PA »

As far as boxes go, the stainless one at sam's is a pretty good buy. I just bought one and the quality is nice. If you plan on rolling it around the shop a lot, you may want to put on larger casters. My brother has been using one where he works for quite some time now and they are still very happy with it. some of the workers there are VERY hard on tools and it is holding up fine. My buddy has a mac box that he bought used and he paid nearly what I paid for this new. He's actually upset he didn't buy one once he compared them side by side. His mac is smaller than mine as well.

I actually wanted to get the box Sam's had a few years ago, but they stopped carrying it and changed to the stainless stuff. One drawback to stainless, my magnets no longer stick to the sides. I'll have to find a new place to store them.

Tom in PA
Stian

Post by Stian »

I have worked as service engineer and we travle alot around.
We buy the cheapest thing's because it go lost long befour it's broken.
Only if you work in your garadge 400hours a year and you are good at cleaning up after you, then you can defend the cost of profesjonal tool's.
Torque wrenches should be profesjonal because it's important to get the right torque
mudman

Post by mudman »

One drawback to stainless, my magnets no longer stick to the sides. I'll have to find a new place to store them.

Tom in PA

They stick great to my beer cooler in the garage. :lol:
OOPS did I say that outloud. :roll:
I know, no drinking while working with tool's on the car's. :cry:

Mike
mudman

Post by mudman »

Sound's like you are still young. Get the basic's you need first. Use other people's tool's to try different brand's if they will allow.
I have a set of snap on 10 to 22mm open/box wrench set, I hate them for pulling real hard, they are to skinny and want to cut into my finger's.
Really suck's when you need to wrap a rag around the tool to use it.
Pawn shop's, garage sale's, local paper's etc etc. After time you will find what you "need" and what "would be nice to have" to make the job a bit easier. Make a list and hit the street's.
Back when I was working in the truck shop (big diesel's) I was paying the "big two" at times $50.00+ each per week :shock:. Back then that was almost a friggin house payment per month. Now I have to wipe them down every couple of months to keep them from rusting away. Well, except what I use on the race car's and the wife's ford.
Keep it simple and try everything you can to "get the feel" of them.
Happy spending :lol: and enjoy what you do.

Mike
bigmeat

re

Post by bigmeat »

I too work as a mechanic for the last 14 years. At work I use Craftsman because I work for the goverment and they supply my tools. when I worked in private industry I used Mac tools. I always thought they where a bit cheaper then snap on and held up well. Ah yes never buy a new tool box you can find nice used boxes for not at lot of money. Let someone else take the big hit!
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

I like tools, the “core” usage should be of the highest quality for one simple reason cheap tools are more likely to strip/ruin fasteners and cost more work. Down time is expensive, all ways have redundant tools because you can not wait for the truck/store/mail to replace a split socket.

One off tools I love Harbor Freight. Use once or just to see if you really need a second set. Improper usage breaks tools, abuse with care.

As far as tool boxes go I agree that off the truck is the most expensive way to get one. They go on sale, are found used, and don't need to be pretty. I managed to get one worthy of putting a STF sticker on, it is a middle of the road MAC, 1st edition Jesse somebody limited edition tool holder. You know the saying “Size Does Matter” err something like that. A lesser box just couldn't handle that sticker. Image
Good tools are worth the money, maybe not retail but a worthy investment.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Desert_Rat

Post by Desert_Rat »

I prefer Craftsman! My Grandpa and my Dad have been using Craftsman for years. If they bend or break they replace them without question.
voltz

Post by voltz »

Majority of my tools are Snap On,Ive worked as a mechanic for many years and only in the last 10 years have I started buying them,crazy prices but the quality is excellent,I do purchase the spanners (wrenches) that have the extra grip part built into the jaws of the spanner,they really are worth the $.
The Snap On dealer comes around once a week and I can run an account with him so it makes it even easier as I dont have to have the $ up front.
I did buy a tool cabinet on wheels from him but I have seen better quality and cheaper price from other brand names ( I wish I had of seen some of these first). I purchased a tool box to sit on top of my roll cab and paid high price from Snap On but I love this toolbox and have not seen another made like it from any other manufacturer. I love my SO screwdrivers but that being said to purchase a very large screwdriver that can be used as a lever as well I will just buy any old brand.I do have a socket set at home made by Minimax that has performed faultlessly adn I think the sockets in that kit are a better purchase than SO. I do have an addiction for tools and will also be able to hand my kit down to my son so Im happy to pay.
In a nutshell I cant go past SO for certain tools but for others such as sockets Im convinced its a better buy to use another good manufacturer
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

i use an adjustable knuckle buster and a gator grip socket.....
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
benhiers

Post by benhiers »

Im a truck mechanic,my work tools are most all big name brands,snap on,mac,matco,s and k,cornwell.I pay bucks for tools at work because,I use them everyday.and yes I even paid the bucks for a snap on box.My tools at home are a mix of everything,from name brands to flea market tools.I have been buying cornwell tools for work lately,the are good quality tools at a fair price.they hold up good and have a lifetime warranty.A northern tool store will be opening here soon,Im ready to go check out thier stuff.
65baja

Post by 65baja »

Hey guys I am also a mechanic by trade. used tools only if your buying off of trucks its the only way to go the tools are half the price and they have the same waranty.(except air tools unless youv figured out how to fix them and whats cheep to fix :D )

Also for all you 9 to 5 wrenches out there just a forwarning I recently went to sears this last week to get a wratchet waranteed and i walked in with my work uniform on and they wouldnt waranty it. theyr exuse was they have "professional grade tools but not for the professional". just letting you guys know just in case. ive warantied several tools at this same location before with my uniform on and never had a problem but they said there policy has changed so just dont letm know your a wrench :P .

Joe
Romoman

Tools

Post by Romoman »

Some interesting suggestions...

The best screwdrivers EVER are Wiha. You will not be disapointed.

As far as normal "core" use tools, I prefer SO. We have an awesome dealer and he will come by anytime I need something. Heck, I've run to his house at 8 pm to get something.

I then usually have a cheap set of things around. These are the ones that get special "mods".

Matt
oly29

Post by oly29 »

You guys talk about tool boxes should check out the large box sold by Harbor Freight. Compaire one of the best tool boxes by Sears and then go look at the Harbor Freight one. Sears best uses one bearing slide for most of the big drawers while the Harbor Freight uses 2 per side on all of the big (deep) drawers. They are both made in China.
MikeVW

Re: Tools

Post by MikeVW »

Romoman wrote: I then usually have a cheap set of things around. These are the ones that get special "mods".

Matt
Those are my favorite tools, customized for one specific duty.

Mike