Needs a workshop heater, what do you use??

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Rolf

Needs a workshop heater, what do you use??

Post by Rolf »

I'm freezing my .. of as the winter really have hit Denmark. I would like to see or hear from you what kind of heater you use in your workshop. I have a 1100 sq ft workshop and really need some kind of hot air heater. I would rather not use a propane heater due to the fact it will release a lot of water when burning propane. Would like to build some kind of a hot air heatér with an oil burner. Welding/maching is absoulutly no problem. Any ideas ????

Rolf, Denmark
Drbugfixer

Post by Drbugfixer »

If you are into building your own stuff, You might want to check out a wasteoil burner.
The only problem is having a good source of used motor oil.
A friend of mine built one last year, and I can tell you these things can
really put out the heat! He used these plans..http://www.eqg.biz/wob/
Good luck and keep warm!
Hank Winning

Post by Hank Winning »

Check out http://www.fieldlines.com/section/heat
for more plans on heaters
hank
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

Something cheap & easy is a wood burning barrel stove. I cant find any photos, & while you can get the kits from harbor Frieght, I'm guessing that doesn't do you much good over there,...

Best description is two oil barrels on thier sides, stacked one on top of the other. The lower one is the fire box with a door on one end & a rack to hold the wood in the lower 3rd. The vent in the back ties into the upper barrel wich is used as a radiator, the exaust chimney is on the front side of the upper barrel so the draft is basicly an S. Keeps the hot air in the stove longer so it radiate more heat into your shop.

Getting creative with a couple of large tubes that run at angles thru the upper barrel will provide convection vents to draw more heat from the inside increasing the efficiency of the stove.

A note tho, if you decide to try it, after you build it fire it up OUTSIDE! The paint on the outside & coating inside the barrel will need to burn off & it smokes ALOT! Let it burn for a while with a decent heat. the top barrel may not lose all of it's paint but the lower one should.

Hope that is of some help.
I dig all cars, whether old, new, hammered out of Japanese tin cans, American iron, or German steel.
Rides:
70 Volksrod "The Black Bomber"
12 Jetta 2.5
56 GMC 370 "Tater"
07 Avalanche
20 Cherokee Trialhawk
05' Harley FLHTCUI

Post by Guest »

I once set up an eberspacher BA6 gas heater in a 2car garage. It was on a platform with the exhaust out a window. Ran it off a deep cycle battery and a gas can on a shelf. Kept the garage pretty warm while close to freezing outside with the garage door half opened. It seemed kind of dangerous and I was pretty impressed so I installed it in my bus. I think this could be made safer and more practical with one of the more compact eberspacher heaters, plus its kind of cool to use an old VW part to heat the workshop.