Shop Size Air Compressor

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
doc

Shop Size Air Compressor

Post by doc »

I'm considering installing a "killer" compressor in my shop and running line drops around the room. I've been looking at the 7 1/2 hp, 80 gallon, 175 psi, vertical models - a professional level unit. (I figure it'll go a long way toward making me a pro - yea, sure).

Any suggestions? Brand, style, type? How to save some part of the small fortune they want for one of these things? How to set up the drop system? Have you seen the ads on TV for the plastic system that just snaps together? I expect to run 50-75 ft. of overhead to run the drops from. Comments on noise level and maintenance required would be interesting.

There used to be a guy on Ebay (Ohio maybe?) who claimed to build compressors that were "really the correct hp" and "really the correct pressure and rating" and "really the greatest thing since sliced tomatos". I can't find the ads anymore. Anybody got a clue as to where he went? Coleman bought him out to shut him up?

All comments appreciated. Well, most comments appreciated anyway.

doc
Rescue912

Post by Rescue912 »

Eaton Compressor & Fabrication
1200 St. Rt. 35 West
Eaton, Ohio 45320
937-456-1752

That the guy? I have an old 7 horse that I bought used. When it dies, that is where I am getting my next...
doc

Post by doc »

That's the guy, I'm sure. Thanks! Does he have a website? He used to, I think.

What did you pay used?
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Howdy.

Your posting didn't say what you were using the aircompressor for...

Many times weekenders over buy compressors... grinders etc are still best used as electric.... most shops can get by with smaller portable units suspended up.

For the lines... copper 1/2" are the way to go. Check the history on www.Woodnet.net ... I posted how to questions about 4 years back... they were excellent.

Before I installed mine, I stopped in a commercial production facility -- had a pipe fitter give me the demonstration, tour and how to instructions.

T.
doc

Post by doc »

Thanks, T. I am familiar with woodnet, a great site. I'll look in history for the reference. The copper line suggestion is enlightening.

My uses are pretty standard and I have a decent Campbell-Hausfield portable now. My uses are just regular air tools (impact gun/die grinder/air blower/DA sander/etc.) and painting. Although the smaller unit does the job, it runs down pretty quick. With painting and sanding operations you have to wait for it to catch up and to get rear wheel brake drum bolts off, you have to hammer at it multiple times waiting for catch up in between. Also, it's really loud. So, although it is serviceable, I have my disappointments.

Besides, you are correct in assuming that I'm pretty much the weekend warrior, overcompensating type and am totally convinced that a new compressor will put me on the road to my own TV show. Look out American Chopper.