Parts Washers

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
resto65

Parts Washers

Post by resto65 »

I work in a bike shop and we are in need of a new parts washer. Medium size nothing big. Anyone have any info or experence to share. I have been looking at the heated and water based ones. Smell is one of our bigest issues as is cost of corse. Thanks in advance Chris W
Coils

Post by Coils »

For a cheap and not to large of one try Harbor Freight, they put one on sale alot for like $60-70. I've never used it but it looks decent for the price.
zilch02pcusa

Post by zilch02pcusa »

how much would you sell the old one for?
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

The wtare basdd chemicals are worthless except that they wash off with water a little better. They evaporate slower yes, but are not enironmentally friendly, due to he fact that the greases oils and dirts they collect will stiill need to be disposed of in the same manner as VOC's. They also clean poorly. Normal parts washer solvents also have high flash points so they are not a real fire risk. Ray
resto65

Post by resto65 »

Old one is gone my boss took it, anyone ever used one like the harbor freight one's that are like $100 or below. Thanks CW
Coils

Post by Coils »

Here's a site with some info on that washer. At least this guy has expirience with one and seems to be happy with it. About half way down the page.
http://www.blindchickenracing.com/Tools ... rtools.htm

Hope this helps
Dan Larson

Post by Dan Larson »

I have one, it gets the job done as it is. I never really liked the bath type, which it is.

But, do the upgrade shown on Blind Chicken's website and it'll be great.
Less mess, fluid doesn't evaporate as fast and your not bathing in it.
INSAYN

Post by INSAYN »

Dan Larson wrote:Less mess, fluid doesn't evaporate as fast and your not bathing in it.
That would be my parts washer, and for the exact reason you mention is one of the many reasons I modified it. The first and foremost, was that the filtering litterally was nonexistant. The crap would float around and come right back at your work. Then to clean it out after a a few months of use, you had to drain it out of a tiny little bolt hole into a catch can.

I drained and cleaned my tank really good, and then flipped it over and welded a pipe bung in the back left corner. Flipped it back on its feet and drilled a series of holes that look alot like a shower drain. Like the pictures show, I added a master cylinder filter screen into the down trap so that anything but color would stay in the verticle pipe. WORKS AWESOME!

Then the pump was moved down into the bucket, and is ALOT quieter down there - also freeing up more room in the tank above. Actually I used the old pump box to store my various brushes and things.
I have been considering swapping the work tray for some expanded metal so that the larger crap drops through and out of the way.

An air powered bubbler is on the list of upgrades as well. This way I can add a small metal tub and fill it with solvent, set part in to soak, and apply a light feed of compressed air from the air compressor. Leaving it overnight to agitate.

I alos plan to make an aluminum tank for holding more solvent that is sealable during welding season. Right now I have to keep my sparks away from the bucket as the top is not sealed tight.

But for now - it works!

INSAYN
John W. Kelly

Post by John W. Kelly »

That's a great web site Insayn!! 8)