VW factory tools

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
sparkmaster1

VW factory tools

Post by sparkmaster1 »

Does anyone know of a site that lists the old tools by part #? I've got a few old ones that I'm not sure what they were for and some I'd like to get and I'd like to have the real description for them. Thanks, Tim
Owner Tim's ACVW Engine/Trans Service
MattKab

Post by MattKab »

I have a Hazet 10/13mm spanner that I treasure..

My mate in Australia , at a swapmeet bought a manual of VW 'Equipment for local manufacture' which contained drawings and details of everything from 4wheel drive-up ramps for Splits to engine bench test rig (cut VW trans obvoiusly) and engine internal parts organiser, etc, etc. The VW read I've ever experienced.

I bought an info CDrom of various manuals and sadly just the contents page of the above :(

The Bentley shows many of the special tools VW used, a website showing details of these would be very cool.

Anyone?

Matt
abqjohn

Post by abqjohn »

http://wow.atlasta.net/~mriluvu/oacdp/tools.html - "Workshop Equipment for Local Manufacture" listed scans of the tools, and had enough information to be able to make 'em yourself

I just tried it, though, and couldn't get through. D'oh.

Don't suppose anyone grabbed the scans off of that site before it was down?

- john
super vw

Post by super vw »

HEY! I HAVE THAT SAME 10/13MM wrench! :D no joke... its a little brown though :O
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Either trends or HVW's had an article about a re-print of the manual of all of those tools and how to make them locally...about 10 years or so ago. Ray
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Here's some of mine:
Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

http://www.DasVolks.com
Zen

Post by Zen »

abqjohn wrote:http://wow.atlasta.net/~mriluvu/oacdp/tools.html - "Workshop Equipment for Local Manufacture" listed scans of the tools, and had enough information to be able to make 'em yourself

I just tried it, though, and couldn't get through. D'oh.

Don't suppose anyone grabbed the scans off of that site before it was down?

- john
I don't know if that's where I got them, but I have 5 .pdf files of scans of the "Workshop Equipment for Local Manufacture" book that I found posted a few months ago. From what I have found scrolling through it, the one I have looks like it was last updated in September '67 (begining of the 68 Model Year). I don't have any way to post them and they are probably too large to email . . . the scan of the index pages is over 6MB and the other four files are between 12MB and 17MB each. It's somewhere around 200 scanned pages total, and there are some fantastic tools shown. If you want the drawings and instructions of a particular tool, I might be able to seperate out a few pages that would be small enough for emailing.

One I want to make is the tool that slips into the head and you slide the push rod tubes on. When you install the head, all 4 tubes are automatically perfectly aligned with the block and the head.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Just get a type 4 engine...then you don't have to worry about aligning pushrod tubes...or having them leak... 8) Ray
Zen

Post by Zen »

What's the fun in that? :)
Rescue912

Post by Rescue912 »

Hey Zen ...

Got a way to burn those to a CD? If so, PM me so I can give you an address. I can munge and post on the web somewhere.

I tried contacting the guy that had them up before but haven't gotten a response yet.
Zen

Post by Zen »

After I got them on CD I found that I couldn't get the pdf of pages 775-799 to open. It says the file is damaged and can't be repaired. :( Then I checked the file on my hard drive . . . and it's giving the same message. It opened a couple of weeks ago. This is the only pdf file I've ever seen give this particular error message . . . I have no idea what happened to it.

I finally found the link to the page where I found them . . . I was hoping that maybe I had found them somewhere else, but it's the same URL abqjohn posted. Unless I can find someone else who saved them I guess I'm just out those pages. :cry:
Zen

Post by Zen »

Zen wrote:After I got them on CD I found that I couldn't get the pdf of pages 675-699 to open. It says the file is damaged and can't be repaired. :( Then I checked the file on my hard drive . . . and it's giving the same message. It opened a couple of weeks ago. This is the only pdf file I've ever seen give this particular error message . . . I have no idea what happened to it.

I finally found the link to the page where I found them . . . I was hoping that maybe I had found them somewhere else, but it's the same URL abqjohn posted. Unless I can find someone else who saved them I guess I'm just out those pages. :cry:
Rescue912

Post by Rescue912 »

ok, Zen is working on getting me a copy of some of these pages. In the mean time I hunted down the original site owner (went from former isp -> college -> alumni assoc -> bursar ... etc. ) but he gave me the url for his new site:

http://failsure.net/oacdp/

I asked if I could make a mirror of it on one of my servers. Will see what we can come up with. For now, play nice - don't go clubbing his server to death downloading every image :)
MattKab

Post by MattKab »

Good work fella!

It's good to see that again.

That's the best thing on the net :shock:

Matt
Bill Richardson

Post by Bill Richardson »

What about part numbers below 600 - are they available?