General purpose light duty cart

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Ol'fogasaurus

General purpose light duty cart

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I was prepped to build a cart for the trans in the black buggy when I remove it to put the pan back up on the rotisserie. This is to box the shock towers, get the seats in place, and rough out the cage so that the truss bar I am building can be aligned correctly.

I got a ad in the mail from HF and looking at it there was a light duty (300# loading... I doubt it) cart for a decent price ($20 plus tax) but would it be strong enough. I went on line (twice) and read the comments on it, especially the three bottom scores then drove over to look at it. They had it along with several others all wire tied together so you could see much but I did squat down and reach under and felt. I am sure the trans will be safe on it so I bought it. It seems I found a Christmas present cart which had $23 on it so I bought two (for the trailing arms with disc brakes mounted). So... going from what the negative accounts said I present the following (sorry guys but I over detailed as I think some of it might be needed assuming anyone else had brain fade like me).
IMG_1324 copy.jpg
I comes in a wedge shaped box. Everything is put together with the exception of the wheels which also comes in a box. One of the complaints was that the wheels suck... then come not lubed so I slathered them with silly cone and, while being light weigh units, the silicone did make a difference.

The next complaint had to do with the bolts. They came in their respective locations and fairly tight. Carefully I loosened them but did not remove them until all were loose and this allowed me to make sure that the backing plate did not fall out like at least one of the complainers had problems with. I do think the bolts around the edge would allow access to the inside but I was being careful. If there had been a problem then I could have put the caster with a bolt in place on one corner so the backup did not fall away when I remove the rest of them. Everything on mine was OK, no problems.

The instructions say to put the swivel wheels at the opposite end of the push bar but suggestions in the complaint area were to put the under the end with the bar (push handle). The instructions said that when you wanted to turn with the wheels up forward you stepped on the rear of the cart (to lighten the load on the front I guess) then turn. The way I have it now you move the back of the cart then go forward. Very changeable if I want to and no... do not put both of the caster on one side and the two non-swivel wheels on the opposite side. That will P... you off if you try to move it :twisted: .
IMG_1325 copy.jpg
Wheels on!
IMG_1326 copy.jpg
Cart turned over sitting on it's wheels. The push bar is folded down.
IMG_1327 copy.jpg
IMG_1328 copy.jpg
Finished.
IMG_1329 copy.jpg
When I am done with it (or the other one I bought this might be another use for it.

One of the other complaints was how does the push bar go down. The instructions said the step on the back and push but eeeeen... no. Channel locks hoooking into the ball area, tilt forward, push forward on the bar to lock that device then attach the other vise the same way. It'll go down OK then.

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: General purpose light duty cart

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I got the cart loaded with trailing arms and it moves, behaves and was long enough to be considered OK.
IMG_1333 copy.jpg
I opened the second box which was in better shape that the first one and did find some damage to the cart. In the upper and bottom left hand corners you can see some: bruising of the flat area by the corner. I don't think it is going to make a difference but look things over before you get too deep into it.

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.