A new work and a new vice stand

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Ol'fogasaurus

A new work and a new vice stand

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

With the black buggy all covered now and heading south to AZ soon I have been cleaning up and reorganizing some of my garage.

This is my old work stand, not too sure just how old it is but I am guessing at least 10 years now. The top of the platen is ~46" high and it is just a bit too high for some things. I also had not put the jam bolt in the stand ... just got too busy and I wanted to shorten the post up a bit at the same time. I hadn't come up with some numbers for height but I settled on 34" (plus the 1` collar I had to make) with is what most work surfaces are which allows you to stand or sit and work. I also used the 44" as a height as that is what one of my commercial work benches is set at ... and it will rise above that if I want.

Not too long ago I was given two brake drums off garbage trucks; they weigh about 65#s a piece. One I have made a stand for a very old and heavy vice and this one I decided to make a new work stand.

I didn't want to bore you will all the details like I usually do but this is the now finished work station. The platen is adjustable from 35" to over 44" (as you see it here).

As you see I am storing most of my clamps on it.

The last thing I did was to make a mount for the light. I had turned a piece of round stock down after boring it for the light. I only had a 1/2" drill but needed a 5/8" so this morning, not being able to sleep, I got up at 4:00 am and went out and hand filed for 1 1/2 hours to get the hole the right size.

This shows the piece of round stock I started with and the finished and welded in mount.

This shows the amount of adjustment in the stand. This stand is heavy so you have to stay away when adjusting it until it is securely locked in place! It did slide on me once (it takes two hands to lift it up) and the sound of it coming into contact with the tube was really LOUD!

This shows some of the underside of the stand and the collar I ended up having to make. The weld of the adjusting tube to the platen had more of a gap than I wanted and the welds would not let it sit flat, hence the collar to cover the weld to the plate and match the outside tube.

This shows some of the platen. I like the flat mount type of vice grip so, after a lot of debate with myself, I added the holes. 4 on each side of the mounting tube. Works great and should allow me, after I get another, to clamp things securely when working on them.

This shows the piece of flat stock I started with for the base and the platen(s). I was after 1/8" to 3/16" but all the had that was already cut roughly to size (I would have had to wait a couple of days because they had so many orders) was a piece of 24" X 26" which is why the platen is 12" X 26". The other scrap hunk of the flat stock, 12" X 12", will be another platen to build when we get back (I got plans... ).

After I got home I noticed that the plate had a bend to it so by clamping the 1" angle iron all around the bottom I got most of the warp to flatten out. I think it will fully flatten on its own out over time. If not a pass or two over the platen with the "smoke wrench" should make that happen

Anyway, busy work but I think it is going to work out well.

The other stand will go to my step-daughter's husband who is into off-road bikes. Who knows, he may get perverted to be into buggies also.

Lee
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Tue May 17, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leatherneck

Re: New work stand

Post by Leatherneck »

Cool stands Lee, like the work surface and small but heavy base.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I thought I mentioned it but maybe not. The brake drum alone weighs something like 65#s. It alone R heavy with the addition of the vertical tube and mounting hardware. When you add the platen on the whole assembly gets difficult to move... which is good when working on it. I've got a small rocking motion to it so I will have to check the brake drum to see if it has a high spot or two; it could be just the location on the floor of the garage too; I got to check it out.

Lee
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

Lee... I'd recommend welding up 3 feet for it (Nothing special, just a piece of angle with a hole in it) and install adjustable feet. Tripods are much easier to level then a 4 point. Keeps it low, but stable. I haven't ever seen much concrete that's level over any decent distance.
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

I like it. Will be useful for a lifetime!

doc
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

SCOTTRODS wrote:Lee... I'd recommend welding up 3 feet for it (Nothing special, just a piece of angle with a hole in it) and install adjustable feet. Tripods are much easier to level then a 4 point. Keeps it low, but stable. I haven't ever seen much concrete that's level over any decent distance.
It only rocks way less than a quarter of an inch where it is currently standing and I suspect that it is the concrete in that area. I checked the brake drum before I started and it was OK but then what seemed flat at zero height then measured at 44 inches can change ... a lot! :twisted:

If anything is built it would be a dolly as the weight of it, as it sits, is quite heavy. Somewhere between 75 and 100 pounds.

Lee
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

true the rocking would bug me and moving it to another spot will move the rock. As was suggested put some short tripods with adjustable bolts and we will quit bugging you about it. lol
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Knot home now so cannot do. On my way to visit Harry Zona for three months ... I bet he will be glad to see us leave :lol: . We are just below Salem OR for the night. A log drive in rain, misty and people in a hurry to get home after the holidays. Long lines for one big wreck in south Seattle and road work in a couple of places. Had to fight with one windshield wiper blades and the battery that the towing brakes use going flat because of all the stop and go because of the long lines.

The tripod idea is OK and would work but among other things, that would end up lifting the bottom setting of the platen higher, it is the lower setting that I want to hold as that is the sit and work setting vs the standing and work setting. I could take some material off the main vertical tube but I now have it flat and that took a lot of playing with.

A low rider dolly with wheels that can be raised or lowered to move the stand along with some short studs for leveling is my current plan. I have several months to think about it so the design isn't set in stone yet.

I still have to use the stand in anger ... actually use it. Other than the build and making plans for other platens for other tools such as a larger vice, metal shears, bead roller, mount for my spot welder with adjustable table to hold longer pieces of material and so on.

Lee
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

Instead of a dolly, or three feet... Put 2 small wheels and an adjustable foot... That way you can lean it over and roll it around as needed. THEN... we'll quit giving you a hard time... LOL
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

SCOTTRODS wrote:Instead of a dolly, or three feet... Put 2 small wheels and an adjustable foot... That way you can lean it over and roll it around as needed. THEN... we'll quit giving you a hard time... LOL
:lol: :lol: :lol: no offence meant sir! But not when it weighs as much as it does and is as top heavy as it is. I haven't weighed any of it yet and I am not sure I want :shock: scary!

Your dolly idea would work great assuming I removed the platen each time. Actually I have removed the platen, tipped it back and rolled it on edge to where I wanted to work on it. I does work fine that way and would work with the wheel as you pointed out but not with the platen in place plus with all the stuff I have hanging off it.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Subject: New work stand
SCOTTRODS wrote:Instead of a dolly, or three feet... Put 2 small wheels and an adjustable foot... That way you can lean it over and roll it around as needed. THEN... we'll quit giving you a hard time... LOL
I have actually seen this done several times and have moved at lease one unit myself (I think I have moved a couple of them around over the years).

Unlike a moving dolly/cart, where the loads are down low, with the top heavy rig the distance between lean back and moving it and Oops/Aw $#it and something top heavy like this getting away from you is a very short distance. :lol: One of the big reasons not to move it like you suggested was there is a point at lean back where the bottom wants to take off on you which doesn't really work well on your back. Getting it back up to vertical is also just as big of a pain (in the back).

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: A new work and a new vice stand

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The other day I was asked what was new on my buggy and I was waiting for parts to come in: " ... so in the mean time I am making a new stand for the new vice I got (http://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-multi ... 61163.html) that is similar to a Wilton one I saw on Craig's List for $180. I hope it is have as strong as the Wilton one is. Heavy and seems to be very smooth operating. I just hope the casting material is up to what it should be. It looks and feels as good as other units I looked at do." I already had some 1/8th inch scrap laying around, cut to a funny shape but it turned out that it wasn't necessary a funny shape after I got working with it. Seen in the next photos the tang on the side of the platen turned out to be a great place to keep things when working using the vice. In this case it is the magnetic stand to hold the MIG welding gun on.

I squared up the plate to be the new platen then set the vice on it to get the mounting bolts centered. I then turned the vice over and put a piece of card stock on it and, using a ball-peen hammer cut out the shape of the bottom of the vice plus the holes. I then cut up some strips of angle iron (bed frame) to keep the platen flat and welded them around the perimeter of the main part of the platen.

I goofed and forgot to add a notch for a washer on one of the pieces of angle iron so today I had to cut the strip of angle iron off , notch it then weld it back in place. Not pretty but functional. Some pictures of the vice sitting in place as I was checking out form, fit and function.

With the head rotated 180°. The vice will also swivel 360°. I hope the vice is as good as it looks to be.

I also discovered that I need to add some more holes in the platen on the work stand. I figured I would have to do it but just didn't know where. I know of a few new places now.

Lee