Removing Foam Insulation from "C" Pillar

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Clatter

Removing Foam Insulation from "C" Pillar

Post by Clatter »

Ssooo,
Who has a slick way to get that yellow expanding foam out?
Hard to reach, stiff and in the way of my needed rust repairs....

Most of all, worried that after blasting, there will always be a source of sand down into my carbs.

I have an electric carving knife I got from grandma, but it doesn't reach.
I fear using a torch for making a mess, or if it ignites and burns hot it will warp panels?
Cutting them clear open would be too much of a chore.

Maybe chemicals?
The fear with stripper is that it would find seams and remain there forever,
Thereby eliminating any existing protection, and eliminating the possibility of painting in there...

Dag.
Somebody has to have a sweet trick up their sleeve for this one, right? :wink:
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
helowrench

Re: Removing Foam Insulation from "C" Pillar

Post by helowrench »

A piece of clutch cable. Unwind a bit of the wire strands. Put threaded end in drill. Be careful.
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

I've heard of folks Washing it out with Gasoline... or another chemical that melts it. I've heard of torching it out... and the method mentioned already... raggedy wire and a drill.
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
Joe vw

Post by Joe vw »

I use a straightened coat hanger with a small bend at the end sharpened to chop the foam- chucked in a drill.
Use a vacuum with a smaller hose duct taped to suck the chips out.
ProctorSilex

Post by ProctorSilex »

Was this one of those crazy rust "repairs"? Is that the spray foam house insulation? I have dissolved that stuff BEFORE curing with isopropanol (70/30 water solution) to save partially used cans with mixed results. I read that acetone works too. The problem is that I think solvents fail after curing. I would be scared of the solvent that eats the cured stuff.
How about using a long wire pipe brush chucked in a drill? Those particular ones are only a foot long, but my father has a three footer nylon bristled brush. While having metal bristles would surely help, especially to scrape the walls clean, you could roll your own by twisting some strands of solid copper wire or, possibly, steel wire.
I once used a straightened toilet brush with a drill to clean out a torsion beam tube. I cannot recall how long that toilet brush turned out to be. I bought some drill extensions to get it all the way (one has set screws to hold the tool piece).
Just make sure that the twist goes with the rotation of the drill so that it does not come undone. You could even twist some barbs into the end.
rsb

Post by rsb »

Do keep in mind that your wiring harness is in there. it runs down the drivers side and is somewhere about where the fender bolts up, it is protected by what looks like a rubber sleeve.

My plan is to graft in panels from a non-crescent vent beetle due to the amount of rust in the area. I am thinking that the hole this is going to make should give me lots of access to scape the foam out, or go with the clutch cable method where the foam goes to the engine compartment.