what is a Climate control compressor?

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
fusername

what is a Climate control compressor?

Post by fusername »

I have an opportunity to pick up a tiny 30 gal 1 hp "climate control" compressor very cheap. it probably/maybe works, and its only 40 bucks. I figure I can use the tank to extend the usefulness of my 2hp craftsman worst case. BUT it will take up some very valuable space, so I am hesitating on just snatching it up. I am wondering if anyone knows what a "climate control compressor" is and how it varies from a regular shop compressor? I can't tell at all, my only guess is it puts less oil in the air and is designed for faster service? I have no clue what they are used for in climate control to begin with...

Since it is oiled, I am thinking I can put it under the porch w/ a quality air filter (which I already own) and it will be super quiet, and I can just connect it to my 2hp when I need a full 11 CFM to run the blast cabinet, but I will have nice quiet air the other 90% of the time I am using it. Very low CFM (4.5), but it is dual headed so I am keeping an eye to CL for a bigger pump and motor. Then I can sell the 2hp.

http://www.quincycompressor.com/product ... ntrol.html
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Max Welton

Re: what is a Climate control compressor?

Post by Max Welton »

I just figured the climate control compressor was part of air conditioning.

Apparently not.

Max
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

I would think a "climate control" compressor is a compressor to run the valving (thermostats) and air dampers and what not to in a large air conditioning system.... "Probably" pretty much like standard air compressor with a few special specifications, for certain conditions that are only required for running large air control in large building AC system...

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
fusername

Post by fusername »

since I can only find factory specs etc there are no prices to compare. BUt I wager if it prices out the same as a shop compressor the only real differences are from a service point of view. At first I thought it might put less oil in the air, but that may not be true since like you said dale it probably is just for that so who cares. I think it is prorated an underpowered to keep it alive longer at a sacrafice of peak SFM, and it doesn't have wheels so it is meant to be permanently mounted somewhere, along with ahveing a bolt on superstructure for the comp instead of a welded on one for speedier replacement. I think I'm gonna go grab it, cost me half as much in gas to go get it, but if it runs then I have 12 CFM in the shop with both compressors on..

gonna go climb under the floor (easily done since a rot hole leads from the first floor to the crawl space) and see if it is tall enough for the comp to live under there. if it is, that seals the deal. will run a new power line and call it good.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.