sun roof repair

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
monkslayer

sun roof repair

Post by monkslayer »

Hi,

I have a 1974 standard beetle that came with the crank sunroof.Problem is it wasn't working when I got it from the PO.It even pops right out(detachable)..had to seal it with silicon to the roof for safety reasons.Anyone know or has instructions on how to repair the sun roof?

Thanks in advance.
Marc

Re: sun roof repair

Post by Marc »

My son's repaired a few, I'll see if he can give you some pointers. I think you can convert to the "Super" style that tilts, too, by installing different cables.
monkslayer

Post by monkslayer »

thanks marc..i will appreciate that a lot..will be waiting for the info..
Marc

Post by Marc »

Chris has a busy weekend, it's the season opener at the local circletrack.
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

I believe the most common problem is the ends being ripped-off the control cables, I' ven just followed the Bentley manual when installing new parts...I do not however know about upgrading the Beetle sunroof...

On my 912E the correct stuff was NLA, so I purchased later 911 tracks/cables, but didn't get around to installing them. I have also installed a couple Passat moonroofs in a friend's Corrado...so it's entirely possible the earlier ACVW stuff may interchange to some extent.
Last edited by Chris V on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

Double-post. :|
monkslayer

Post by monkslayer »

Sorry about the double post...intermittent internet connection caused the problem.Otherwise...i think mine is the original..i don't know about upgrading options....maybe you have some ideas i could try...i will keep doing some research!
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

From above there should be like five tiny philips screws holding down the center cog/drive mechanism's cover...the cables sorta' criss-cross under here - inspect.

With the interior panel removed you should be able to see where the ends of the cables bolt-to the sunroof skin and determine if they're broken from the cables I'm thinking...There's an adjustment here for lift, but I believe that's it.