Fast Orange pump

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Bruce2

Fast Orange pump

Post by Bruce2 »

Why is it that you get your jug of Fast Orange hand cleaner down to about half, then the stupid pump stops working?

Anyone got a great way to get it working again?
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Fast Orange pump

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Have you thought about adding a longer tube to the pickup to see if that works? that seems to be a common problem with these things. I sometimes can get by by shaking the bottle and getting the air pocket to collapse.

Lee
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Bruce2 wrote:Why is it that you get your jug of Fast Orange hand cleaner down to about half, then the stupid pump stops working?

Anyone got a great way to get it working again?
Take the last half jug and combine ? :lol:

Seriously, if it's the stuff with the abrasive in it, it's probably sanded the clearances out on the pump.
I really never had much problem wit the non-abrasive Go-Jo or whatever.

One other possibility is the stuff has dried out some and needs a shot of water to get runny enough to pump gain.
(The Fast Orange, i don't think the GoJo dries out and if it did, you'd have to add some solvent)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Never have the pump failure problem...

Also in orange flavor....

Carry a tube and a roll of paper towels in all my "working vehicles"...

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

We're in the same boat...we usually just use the pump straw to scoop it out like a Slurpee.
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

I wear gloves, I used to use the orange :)
bradey bunch

Post by bradey bunch »

^ Haha yes.

I chaged brands to Zep at home as I was having the same problem, at work we have always used a dispenser from Zep that is pretty bulletproof and is wallmounted, there is a possibility it could hold a can of fast orange too.

Braden
hugging corners

Post by hugging corners »

i just add dishsoap and dilute it then tap it to the end
It goes fast because it is great to clean gunk off engine parts and rims as well.
dunegoon

Post by dunegoon »

This is apparently a common problem. Lucky for me, I keep two units going - one for the house and one in the shop. I pour one into the other and then buy a new unit- just in time to keep it all working. I have tried cleaning them but it did not work. I suspect the grit wears them out. For a while, I just poured the stuff out onto my hands

Did you know you can add a little mineral spirits to thin it out and improve the grease cutting ability? Read the ingredients, they use mineral spirits in the original mixture.
vdubsinjensen

Post by vdubsinjensen »

Here's some great stuff:
www.prosoap.com
Acavet

Post by Acavet »

WD-40 cleans off just about anything, then just warm water and soap.

T
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Did any of you guys see the Daytona race where they had to break out the Tide to clean the track? I didn't know that they still made the powdered Tide. I think that the NASCAR guy said that it was still the product they use for that kind of cleaning on most, if not all the tracks that NASCAR uses.

It is what we had to use in the '50's, tide or Boraxo (this is so old of a product that spell check doesn’t recognize the word/product. I’m not sure if it is still around) and if the grease was extremely bad, you poured a pile of each in your hand then mixed the two together and it you had any skin or hands left, they would be shiny and clean. The chemical action of Tide did put out a fair amount of heat though which, if you only had cold water or it was a cold day was a nice thing. I have tried the orange products and they don’t compare to some of the nasty stuff we used to use.

I still use liquid Dawn with some bar Lava for the hard stuff. There are other things you can use but since you skin absorbs a lot of the chemicals I usually distain from using a lot of them (I don't need any more brain and internal organ damage than I already have).

Lee
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: I still use liquid Dawn with some bar Lava for the hard stuff. There are other things you can use but since you skin absorbs a lot of the chemicals I usually distain from using a lot of them (I don't need any more brain and internal organ damage than I already have).

Lee
I have used (but can't find it in normal stores) a "Dawn Dual Enzyme" liquid that was the best stuff I have used in my shop at work. My Boss Who has since killed himself) bought it and I haven't been able to source it locally except at Cosco. I don't have ac club card, and no one I know will be bothered to get me some while they're at the Cosco.... Sam's doesn't have it, and I have a Sams Card.... Something cool about it is, it doesn't dry your hands out like normal Dawn DW liquid does....

As far as Tide detergent goes.... the stuff they sell now doesn't have the same stuff in it that it used to. When everyone went to the "ultra's" and "new's" they screwed up the old cleaners so that they are marginally effective on some of the stuff the original Tide would take care of. I was surprised at the use of it at Daytona, but they seem to have gotten it done..... As far as I was concerned, that race should have been called. They'd done enough laps to call it complete, and they spent how long" fixing it.... an hour and a half? Silly race people.
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I seem to remember that the "old stuff" had some enviromentally nasty stuff in it... but it sure worked nice! :wink: I think the new stuff does take care of stains much better but not some of the heavy grease.

Lee
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:I seem to remember that the "old stuff" had some enviromentally nasty stuff in it... but it sure worked nice! :wink: I think the new stuff does take care of stains much better but not some of the heavy grease.

Lee
The old Tide had Phosphorous in it,.... we used to use it to green up the lawn as well as clean our cars (on the lawn). It ain't the same stuff now.... Does great on the laundry, but makes me itch nowadays.... had to change to something with no dyes/perfumes in it so I would quit scratching all the time. :lol: :lol: I haz Al Urgies.... <ACHOO!> snif snif... pretty bad.
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297