hydraulic pipe bender improvements......

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
1938vw

hydraulic pipe bender improvements......

Post by 1938vw »

i want to avoid this!!

it just flattens, dents and kinks the tube!
is there any way i can improve my bender to stop this happening?
MY JUNKYARD 1600T BUG IS NOW ON THE ROAD, THANKS STF USERS FOR ALL THE HELP!
SEE MY ENGINE BUILD
HERE
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL HERE
Dale M.

Re: hydraulic pipe bender improvements......

Post by Dale M. »

Get rid of PIPE BENDER and get a TUBING BENDER........ Its all about the dies used for TUBING being greatly different from PIPE dies....

Pipe dies are measured using inside diameter of pipe, TUBING dies are measured by using outside diameter of TUBING....

The kludge hydraulic PIPE bender can be made to work, but you will waste more tubing (cost) then the cost of a real tubing bender and dies....

You need to search about TUBING bender, may words already written....

You have one of these(pipe bender)...

What you need is one of these (tubing bender)...

or...

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
hugging corners

Post by hugging corners »

bump
that's what ill do to keep my pipe tube bending experiments cheap, unless i get lucky on getting the right one!
drawing quoted
look at under product reviews under this link
http://www.harborfreight.com/16-ton-hyd ... 35336.html
HxC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

1buggy

Post by 1buggy »

Ive heard of people packing pipe with sand and water to pack it down and get rid of voids then sealing ends then bend pipe the sand acts as a mandrel helps pipe bend instead of crushing on rollers ????? Worth a shot for couple bucks I sand
Search you tube saw it on there
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

If you do a search on Face book there is a posting of a guy doing just that only he fills the pipe with water then pours sand in displacing the water. His video's show that it works for him but… I think there is a lot not being said in it also. I have heat bent square tubing using the dry sand method (wet sand gives you a steam problem which is really dangerous). Leatherneck, in his string shows him doing some heat bending.

Another problem with the pipe bender is figuring out where the bend starts and ends which makes fitting the new parts a little harder until you figure out all the nuances; e.g., the start and end of the bends (transition points).

Also there is the problem of trying to do several bends in different directions close together; the pipe bender is not real good at that as the pipe goes between the structures of the bender.

Pipe benders have a couple of other problems such as pipe is measured differently so the mandrel is not going to fit as well and can cause problems such as ovaling of the tube. The basic design of the pipe bender causes the thinner wall tube to oval as the bend starts to form. To bend tubing that will not do that is probably out of the ability of the pipe bender.

I could go on but basically, you are trying to cheapen up on something that can be a critical (safety) component on a vehicle.

Lee
hugging corners

Post by hugging corners »

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... 51_ch3.pdf
i found this when looking for lots of visually drafted info you know like you wrap a paper around the pipe for those who dont have a tubular Pipe/Tubing Notcher.
page 20+ for stencils
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I looked though your posted and I think you are talking about the mitered bends. If you do a search, there was a discussion on this maybe a year ago (I'll try to find the string and link it). Mitered bends have to be supported (stress loads) as they are like anyother join of tubes.

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.