Staying Cool a Different Way

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Lew

Staying Cool a Different Way

Post by Lew »

This is a Mike Smith Engine!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
itawolf

Re: Staying Cool a Different Way

Post by itawolf »

Dual fans ---now thats crazy but how well does it work
RET Marine 0317 --with VW on the lobe!!
Lots of iron in the fire
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

The type of fan installation is typically only used for drag car installations to cool cylinders and heads after a run.... My understanding from other threads where this comes up a lot is it is NOT SUFFICIENT for street driven engines as it does not move enough air and the electrical energy to run fans is probably more than generator out put....

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
Bugfuel

Post by Bugfuel »

We have done this a lot, on a regular basis, on race cars. 1600-1800cc, looooong duration cams, 12:1 or higher compression ratio. In short, these are high winding small displacement race engines. Race class in question is sort of like rally sprint, part paved, part dirt. Each stint lasts maybe 10 minutes or less. At the end, the engines are usually overheating, so they need to be cooled down before the car can go out again. They hold up, but not more than about 10 minutes of hard driving. Engines blow at every race. Some last one race event, some last a couple weekends. Of those that are competitive, that is. No generator/alternator is used, it's just unwanted drag and weight. Same with belt driven fans, they rob too much power. And you would need to figure out an optimal pulley ratio for an engine that can see 9.500-10.000rpms. :)

EDIT: Just to be clear: you cannot run electric fans alone on a street engine, not even a stock one. Not NEARLY enough CFM, and no pressure to speak of. Proper cooling of the engine requires pressure as well as flow.
Stray Catalyst

Post by Stray Catalyst »

I don't see a generator or alternator in that picture either - that would limit the range of the vehicle even if the heat didn't. Nice looking setup, in any case.

Stray
DWP

Post by DWP »

Just in cas anybody is looking for a set my neighbor Dave has a new set posted over on the samba.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1074165
DWP
As i tell my son, waste money on cars not Girls.
You can always sell the Car.
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

Stray Catalyst wrote:I don't see a generator or alternator in that picture either - that would limit the range of the vehicle even if the heat didn't. Nice looking setup, in any case.

Stray
Magneto?
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

SCOTTRODS wrote:
Stray Catalyst wrote:I don't see a generator or alternator in that picture either - that would limit the range of the vehicle even if the heat didn't. Nice looking setup, in any case.

Stray
Magneto?
No magneto on that motor. It's strictly a race motor as others have said. It's running solely off a battery.
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

aircooledtechguy wrote:
SCOTTRODS wrote:

Stray
Magneto?
No magneto on that motor. It's strictly a race motor as others have said. It's running solely off a battery.
I guess you can tell I'm not a Race car builder huh? I have no clue what the Magneto crowd is using, but I have seen them in the Past (way past),.... just don't remember what appearance the Magnetos had,.... I work with some Magnetos almost daily, on some machines I repair,... none look like much other than Aircraft Magnetos to me. It seems as though someone had one similar in size and shape, to a regular Distributor though,... maybe a hair larger.... I bow to any one else on this,... was just throwing out some thoughts. I considered buying one 20 years ago I guess.... but I remember the price was more than just a little outrageous too.....
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
fusername

Post by fusername »

if your dizzzy ate an elephant, thats what a vw magneto looks like. mmm, factory options.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.