Tool Ideas for Case Dis-assembly an Valve Spring Compressor

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
rockerarm

Tool Ideas for Case Dis-assembly an Valve Spring Compressor

Post by rockerarm »

Hi all. I've been a VW mechanic for more years than I care to admit, especially with this silly question. What do you use to split the type 1 case apart ? Whether it has been together for years with sealant or everything is new/clean and is being trial assembled.
Also, anybody got a simple way to build a valve spring compressor so as to r&r valve springs at home. Looking for ideas for a bench mounted device as well with an assembled engine. I have a simple KD hand crank valve spring compressor which was ok to remove the stock springs, but is not working with the HD Bugpack single springs. It may be worn out as the jaws will not stay on the coil as the spring gets compressed.
Pics are always cool but part numbers or catalog suggestions are welcome. Thanks, Bill
Dale M.

Re: Tool Ideas for Case Dis-assembly an Valve Spring Compressor

Post by Dale M. »

There is a valve spring compressor that bolts to cylinder head in place of rocker shaft.... Have seen it used to change springs or replace keepers on assembled engines in car (Yes it will)...

This is not the one(s) I am speaking of but perhaps....

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... 26-000-129

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1317

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
Tom in PA

Post by Tom in PA »

I've just used something similar to this:

http://www.appletreeauto.com/case-splitter-pr-1318.html

It's helped me when I get a stubborn case.

Tom
Bugfuel

Post by Bugfuel »

Dale M. wrote:There is a valve spring compressor that bolts to cylinder head in place of rocker shaft.... Have seen it used to change springs or replace keepers on assembled engines in car (Yes it will)...

This is not the one(s) I am speaking of but perhaps....

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1317

Dale

I made something very similar, using an old rocker. I cut the adjuster end off and welded in a "fork" that would press on teh spring instead of the valve stem.
I made a remocable handle for it much like this design has, for easier maneuvering under the car. A solid handle seemed to always get in the way until I had the rocker positioned right.
I normally pressurized the cylinder from teh spark plug hole at TDC to keep the valve from falling in, but I also managed to use this tool on the side of the road with no power or air available.Just tapped on the spring retainer with a hammer to shock it loose before using the compressor tool. Amazingly the valve stayed put during the whole process of replacing a broken valve spring.
tencentlife

Post by tencentlife »

Rocky Jennings is manufacturing a nice version of that classic lever-tool like the one CB sells in the link Dale gave above. I think he's asking $60 for it, I have one and it's very nicely made.

I can't use it on some of the wbx's I work on, though, due to coolant or exhaust pipes in the way. I made this up instead, it works in the car or on the engine stand, just need air to trap the valves (or do the rope trick), doesn't matter if it's single or dual-springs and nicest thing is once I run the spring down both hands are free to mess with the keepers. Not my neatest welding job, it's crude but effective. With my 1/4" air ratchet to spin the lead screw I can shim or replace all the springs in the car pretty quick, maybe 30 minutes tops:

perrib

Post by perrib »

Tencentlife that is one slick solution.
The SB new version tool emulates the original on the car tool but the wedge frees up a hand and the removable handle leaves more room to work.

I found that with the engine on a bench stand a few raps on the six large case studs while pulling on the head stus one the nut side splits most cases with ease but for $8 it looks like another must have tool.
tencentlife

Post by tencentlife »

The SB new version tool emulates the original on the car tool but the wedge frees up a hand and the removable handle leaves more room to work.
Yeah you're right, now that I take a closer look that version addresses some of the limitations of the original (still like mine better, but I'm a bit biased)

I cut an old oil pump in half and made one of those case-splitters, but I rarely use that one, because at that bottom rear corner of a wbx case there is an easy place to pry without any danger of damaging the sealing faces. It's at the opposite corner (when laid on its side on a stand) that the wbx cases are a bitch to split, up on top at the bellhousing flange. There's no place to lever at all, and there's a locating dowel as well that tends to hold pretty snug which makes it harder to spread the halves. I made a threaded rod that will attach to two holes in the case there and spread that apart, I do need to use that one a lot. Sorry no pic of that one.
perrib

Post by perrib »

Yours is nice but a one hand an lock it is quieter. Ops, yours ideas is better. Bosses like to hear noise in the shop as it insures your busy working. :wink:
bigmeat

Post by bigmeat »

Case splitter tool

I found a piece of pipe that fit the oil pump opening cut it to size then cut in half. Weleded a 3/8 bolt head side to one side of the splitter then made a round spacer to the other side to take up the threaded end of the bolt. Then I welded a washer onto that to give it a better surface for the nut to push against.