Cheap TIG/Plasma/Stick combo

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
birddog1148

Cheap TIG/Plasma/Stick combo

Post by birddog1148 »

Anyone ever heared of or tried one of these?
http://columbus.craigslist.org/tls/1587470241.html

I got to use a plasma cutter in welding class this week and now I "need" one. Also thinking of taking a TIG class this year, my current instructor thought it would be good to start a side bussiness doing boat prop repair, it would also tie in well with my shrink wrap business. Plus a machine like that if its any good would be great for use when making stuff for the Baja.

also an ebay link, think it is the same guy
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-CT520D-TI ... 0499865952
Bugfuel

Re: Cheap TIG/Plasma/Stick combo

Post by Bugfuel »

Sounds too good to be true... I hope it's not ;)

I could see myself using the Tig most, plasma second, and the stick practically never, maybe once a year to fix something big outdoors.

Just for the two I would need, this sounds good.

Next, price out tig welders and plasma cutters with similar specs, and see how big the difference is.
birddog1148

Post by birddog1148 »

I have a stick and a mig, I would use the plasma more than the TIG I think, but I dont take my TIG class till this summer.
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

Be aware that all TIG welders are marketed as TIG/stick welders. However, the reality of it is that while yes, you can do both, using a TIG unit as a stick welder will eventually screw up the high frequency side of the welder (which is the electronics that allow low amperage TIG welding and the fine control of the amperage through the pedal). You will find over time that your TIG ability goes down as the spark becomes erratic. Never, NEVER, NEVER use an expen$ive TIG welder in stick mode!! Stick-only machines are so cheap that it's not worth ruining your TIG welder investment.

This is another reason to bite the bullet and buy a NEW TIG welder rather than a cheap used one. You never know if the Yahoo before you used it as a stick welder and effectively damaged/ruined the TIG circuitry. Stick-only welders OTOH, are a dime a dozen on CL :wink:
birddog1148

Post by birddog1148 »

I have a Stick welder, I am only intrested in the combo units for TIG and Plasma cutting. That cheap one I posted is DC and I think you need AC to tig Aluminum, so It's not what I am looking for now.

These guys seem real helpfull.
http://weldingweb.com/index.php
fusername

Post by fusername »

afaik, if you already have a nice STICK unit, you can buy a unit you hook your stick up to, and it will make it so you can TIG with it. not a cheap thing, but cheaper than a new TIG unit, and you can use it w/ your stick unit. probably a good deal, but I don't know much a bout em.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Lo Cash John

Post by Lo Cash John »

I've got really bad news for everyone saving their pennies to buy that ALL IN ONE machine and send a few more US dollars to China so read along.

A co-worker of mine was quit impressed with my Lincoln Squarewave 175 TIG machine. I showed hime how I can weld damn near razor blades together with it, and then just flip it over to AC, change the tungsten and your ready for aluminum. I showed him how to make a rythem with the foot so you get those nice alminum beads in the welds (laying dimes or laying nickels they call it).

At some point the coworker had his 4X4 at a job site and was pointing out some of his fabrication & welding skills to the other gear heads, our boss included. One of the heads spoke up an asked "Why doesn't your welding look like the stuff Hunt (me) does on his little VWs and such? It looks like what you'd see on a real race car." That last bit did it for him. At this point he knew he'd have to get a TIG machine and it'd have to be bigger, better and badder than mine.

Now I'm not sure how much shopping he did or just plain old asking questions to guys with TIG machines, but I know I was never asked.

A few weeks later he calls me up from his house and tells me he just took delivery of a TIG, plasma torch, stick welder (maybe he said MIG too). Delivered he got it for less than $900. My first thought was wow, the chinese may have something here so I asked for a website or info. Coworker sends me a link to an Ebay add. Also in the email he asks if I could loan him some aluminum rods and some green tip tungstons since his starter kit didn't seem to have any.

I went on and looked at the ad link he sent. The machines looked nice and came in different colors. I read deeper and deeper then I found it. Hmm.

Since it's always good to help a buddy or coworker out I grabbed several alum. rods and a couple of pure, green tip tungstens and took'em with me to T's house.

When I got there there were numerous bits of steel and things on the work table being sacraficed to the TIG gods. I plopped the aluminum stuff down and grabbed a beer.

Once the BSing slowed down a bit, I asked if he'd tried aluminum yet. No, but he was glad I brought the rods.

At this point I had to break the bad news. Way down in the list of specs I read it said "Not for use on non-ferrous metals". There was also no mention of an AC output rating and there is no FORWARDS A/C REVERSE control anywhere on the unit. What those cheap TIG are, are MIG power supplies with hi frequency and foot control. That's it.

If you want a TIG that can only work on steel or chromoly, has a plasma torch and can stick weld too, this is your machine. If you want to weld aluminum, steel, chromoly, brass, magnesium, copper and who knows what else, spend a few dollars and get a real TIG machine.
birddog1148

Post by birddog1148 »

This is what I am looking at now.
http://www.longevity-inc.com/productdet ... S-200P.php

This seems like a good forum.
http://weldingweb.com/index.php
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

If you are looking to do any TIG Aluminum welding, you must have an AC/DC TIG welder as Lo Cash John eluded too. DC only TIG/stick units are really cheap @ around $500 and up. If you want a quality AC/DC TIG unit, expect to pay in the range of $2K+ for the basic machine. Add a bottle of gas, some tungsten, a few rods, and you're easily over $2.5K+ for an entry unit.

It can NOT be stressed enough; DO NOT BUY A UNIT BASED ON PRICE!! Get a quality unit like a Lincoln, Miller, Esab, etc and you will have years of quality welding with virtually no troubles. I bought my Lincoln ProTIG 185 AC/DC machine from a welding shop on eBay almost 5 years ago. It was an investment. But I haven't had ONE SINGLE issue with it. The welds are just as good today as they were when it was new (actually they are better because I am a better welder now). You get what you pay for. We've all heard the saying, "Jack of all trades; master of none. . ." That applies to welders and tools in general!!
Lo Cash John

Post by Lo Cash John »

Actually I didn't pay that much for my TIG machine. It was a floor model/demo unit at a local welding supply house. I think I paid $1,100 for the machine, got the cart for another $125 or so and already had my own bottle but I had to have it filled with straight Argon ($60-$70).

Figure another $75 for some rods, tungstens, collets and cups and you're in business.

One thing I did make a mistake on was buying 3 different sizes of aluminum rods. I got 1/16th, 3/32nds, and 1/8th. Don't bother with the larger stuff, you'll never use it except to toast marshmallows over a camp fire (very good for that!). All you need is the 1/16th or smaller, like .o45 if they carry it.

I know VW people have a reputation as being cheap, but you've gotta listen to me on this:

BUY A BRAND NAME!!! Go with Esab, Lincoln, Miller, etc.

Remember when the Yugo first came to the US back around 1985? They sold hundreds of thousands of them. In that same year Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc sold hundreds of thousands of their products also. How many Yugo's do you think are still on the road today? How about the Hondas or others?

Save a little more and get something that will last.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Just a backup comment that's not quite on target but indicative, I think. Many know how cheap I am. I am a big Harbor freight fan. As a hobbyist, I can report that their $10-$20 die grinders are hard to beat. Hand tools are not quite as slick as the high priced brands, but completely serviceable. BUT.....

I cheaped out and bought the HF 220V, 151 Pro MIG welder and have regretted it ever since. I am now using a borrowed 110V Lincoln MIG unit and the difference is night and day. Night and day! Particularly so, since my welding skills are just developing.

While I'll stick by my guns on the cheap hand tools and the cheap tools in general (for the hobbyist), if you are going to purchase a machine that costs hundreds of dollars at the bottom end, don't cheap out. You will likely regret it. Compressors, welders, plasma cutters, pipe benders, heavy duty tools, precision measurement tools - just bite the bullet and go for the known quality brands. Do your homework shopping, consider used, ask on the forums. You won't regret it.

doc
cervelorod

Post by cervelorod »

Just to throw my hat in the ring, I love welding, and am pretty much self taught. Have a few scars to prove that....

I purchased a Thermal Arc 185TSW, which is a AC/DC Tig & stick machine. I already had a Millermatic 175 MIG. I think I paid less than $2k for it brand new, torch, foot pedal, and 80 cf argon tank. It's fully supported, parts, etc, by every welding store I have been into.

Whilst it is a lot of money, I would be leery of the $900 all-in-one machines. When one part breaks, the whole thing is down. If my TIG quits, did once, I dropped something on the foot pedal and severed some wires, I can still use my MIG if appropriate.

I picked up a plasma from ebay for less than $400 shipped. Once again a brand name, Thermadyne, that there is almost always a local store that carries the brand.

I would surf the used market, craigslist / ebay, before buying a new chinese model.

I have never heard that using the stick function of a TIG / Stick machine would affect the TIG functions. I have only used the stick function on mine once, so I'm not worried, but the cost of a buzz box is so small, if I had some stick work I would buy a used one then sell when I was done...
1972 Type 1
Under going transmogrification
birddog1148

Post by birddog1148 »

doc wrote:Just a backup comment that's not quite on target but indicative, I think. Many know how cheap I am. I am a big Harbor freight fan. As a hobbyist, I can report that their $10-$20 die grinders are hard to beat. Hand tools are not quite as slick as the high priced brands, but completely serviceable. BUT.....

I cheaped out and bought the HF 220V, 151 Pro MIG welder and have regretted it ever since. I am now using a borrowed 110V Lincoln MIG unit and the difference is night and day. Night and day! Particularly so, since my welding skills are just developing.

While I'll stick by my guns on the cheap hand tools and the cheap tools in general (for the hobbyist), if you are going to purchase a machine that costs hundreds of dollars at the bottom end, don't cheap out. You will likely regret it. Compressors, welders, plasma cutters, pipe benders, heavy duty tools, precision measurement tools - just bite the bullet and go for the known quality brands. Do your homework shopping, consider used, ask on the forums. You won't regret it.

doc
Doc, Check this out.
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=33848

I started this post for opinions, and am getting them, but I have done some more searching too, I like this forum,(Weeldingweb) its just about all welding. :)

PS I have some time to kill between work and Welding class tonight, think I may run over to the local Harbor Freight store :mrgreen:
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

birddog,

Thanks for the reference. Interesting article. But seems to be geared toward increasing power and welding heavier material. This may be great for the guys that are welding tube for buggies and such. But most of my work has been with auto sheet metal (18-22 gauge) where the HF welder won't power low enough or feed wire slow enough to make clean welds without burn through. On heavier material, the HF does a reasonable job.

I think i'm going to take my own advice and save up for a Lincoln or Miller unit. I know now that a 110v welder will definitely do the job. I am currently using a Lincoln 110v that sells for about $450. It seems first rate to me, but my experience level is small.

doc
birddog1148

Post by birddog1148 »

My MIG is a lincoln pro mig 175 220v unit , it works good.