Vote for a Welding and Metal Fabrication Forum

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.

Do you want to have a welding forum?

YES
93%
NO
7%

Total votes: 273

A_67vdub

Post by A_67vdub »

Keep in mind that 2000 views does not mean 2000 people looked at it. It means a few hundred looked at it multiple times.

Please don't spam the site with PM's to every member. It gets annoying. I don't think anybody here hasn't seen your request for a welding forum.

Forums like this one are valuable only when there are multiple experts or at least very knowledgeable people to weed through the BS postings. There's always some kid who wants to sound like an expert and gives advise when he doesn't know what he's talking about. If you really want this forum you need to make sure the knowledge base exists. You need to have a moderator first. AFAIK there have been lots of nominations, but nobody willing to step up and take the responsibility.

If somebody is really serious about wanting to learn how to weld, do you really want to ask a bunch of car guys? Why don't you just join a welding forum where you can learn from people who do nothing but weld, and do it by the book?

Here's something you offroad guys might be interested in:

http://www.weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=11016

There's all kinds of good stuff just like that. If you confine youself to only one online resource of information, you're missing out on a lot.

I'm not saying I'm against a welding forum, but the way some of you are fighting tooth and nail to force Doc to create the welding forum makes me think you haven't explored all the possibilities.

Steve
david58

Post by david58 »

http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=108905
doc wrote:Yeah, I figured you'd say that. I agree. One of the reasons may be that Bodywork and Paint doesn't have a moderator. I'm trying to resolve that now. A leader there might really help get the content going.

I'll take this suggestion to heart for sure , as I am also interested in the subject. I am trying to learn how to weld. I'll see if we can make an improvement in this area.

Thanks,

doc
From what I read Doc is interested in a welding forum on the STF.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
allsierra123

Post by allsierra123 »

Doc would probably go along with it if we could get a few technicalities ironed out.
david58

Post by david58 »

allsierra123 wrote:Well im going to officially volunteer.Since I have seen no one else speak up.
I nominated you a long time ago. :lol:
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
riverrat13

Post by riverrat13 »

Im totally for the welding forum or even better a General fabrication forum
david58

Post by david58 »

winifredevw wrote:I can't believe nobody has posted here. I guarantee we all need help, speak up guys, don't let this forum die!!!
Looks to me more people are interested in this than aren't 125 to 15. :shock:
Bugzlife

Post by Bugzlife »

My welds look like schit, so yes please help a brother out!
waynekarnes

Post by waynekarnes »

very much in favor of welding section.

i visit several other automotive sites and forums.

most have separate welding areas.

i appreciate that.

i might be looking for something in particular. say on my baja bug.

i go to welding area to hunt for advice.

on the way i also find something that will help me with my stocker, find an idea for my dune buggy, another idea for my V8 240z.

i would not have found any of that if i had hunted through the off road section.

in a way, since we aren't shopping in our own private world, having a special section also helps to build a bridge between those of us that believe in improving and changing and those that believe the factory got it right the 1st time and restoration to only way to go.

my 2 cents.

wayne
david58

Post by david58 »

waynekarnes excellent first post and welcome to the STF. Glad you found us.
waynekarnes

Post by waynekarnes »

gary breedlove at lovinbuggies.com sent me this way.

thanks for the welcome.

51 yrs old.

my mom says i was a car nut before i could walk.

think i have owned over 52 different cars, some real nice, some less than nice.

have a habit of taking beater, dumping $$ into it, getting it nice, finding something else i want. quickly dumping the now nice car cheap for immediate cash to buy some beater that stole my heart.

always broke and always at least one project in the driveway. LOL

bug wise. '72 baja bug with my 18 yr old son ( under construction ) authentic myers manx dune buggy ( thinks it's a fiat ... parked since last thing broke or fell off ).

learning to weld from a friend of mine. i have a 110 v hobart 140 mig with tank. would have gotten 220v but the 110 does fine and most people have a 110 outlet. plus 110 was much less expensive.

sorry for being long winded and in wrong forum,

thanks again for the pat on the back and the warm welcome !
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Welcome, Gary sent you this way did he? Yes for sure going to have to watch you. Good to see you over here at the STF, reading you have a father - son project going, first off Good luck with that, seriously good luck. Get a chance come on over to the Off-road forum and start a thread on your Baja project would love to hear and see what you have going on.
sinistervw

Post by sinistervw »

I voted yes....when this poll first went up. I need it now. I am about to drop change on a TIG welder and if I play my cards right a plasma cutter too!

Good at Stick, Mig, and Oxy/Ace... Never tiged!
david58

Post by david58 »

sinistervw wrote:I voted yes....when this poll first went up. I need it now. I am about to drop change on a TIG welder and if I play my cards right a plasma cutter too!

Good at Stick, Mig, and Oxy/Ace... Never tiged!
Well since we have Moderators in the Body Work Forum I think it should also include welding because that is a big part of Body Work and restoration.
bender

Post by bender »

David, You have my vote... If you can tig, you can fab anything for your car 8)
Bite my shiny metal ass
'59 Twin Turbo Vert Beetle
'65 13 Window Deluxe

LuftWagens Klub Candy-ass free
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
david58

Post by david58 »

Bender59 wrote:David, You have my vote... If you can tig, you can fab anything for your car 8)
Me TIG ha ha haha ha I am a Blind Master Dirt Dobber my hands shake, and well you all know how it is......................