Vote for a Welding and Metal Fabrication Forum

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.

Do you want to have a welding forum?

YES
93%
NO
7%

Total votes: 273

david58

Post by david58 »

I think it is high time we start a welding and fabrication forum. It would be great to have how to threads all in one place rather than all over the STF.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
david58

Post by david58 »

Leatherneck wrote:Yes, yes and if any doubts yes. But then again I have no problem spending other peoples money, regardless I think it would help STF to become even better.
Yeah I know we can see some changes happening now.
andychrist77

Re: Vote for a Welding and Metal Fabrication Forum

Post by andychrist77 »

I say yes, I have a baja stripped down to the pan and now I just stare at it because I'm not sure where to begin on my roll cage
User Name

Re:

Post by User Name »

david58 wrote:Image

I think it is high time we start a welding and fabrication forum. It would be great to have how to threads all in one place rather than all over the STF.
2 and a half years

yes please
it would be a good idea

sorry if I appear to be taking the mick, I'm not :oops:
david58

Post by david58 »

I have to wonder what doc thinks about a welding forum now that he has welded on his car?
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
david58

Post by david58 »

Actually it would be nice to have a Welding and Fabrication Forum were we could share our idea's tips and tricks on our cars and shop equipment.
DonnyB

Post by DonnyB »

This is a cool fabrication and welding site,might get some ideas from it
http://thefabforums.com/main/index.php
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Actually, I would like to having a welding and fab forum. The question becomes how far do we dilute what we have. We have a lot of forums now, some very active, some not. Given a stretch, there is certainly room in most of our forums for almost anything.

I've had a lot of fun learning to fab and weld on my current project. And I certainly made a lot of mistakes. I still have to grind a lot to get things to look right. But, I agree that a forum that delved deeply into repair and construction would be very useful and will consider the idea. I like useful. :D

Thanks.

doc
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Doc, once in a while something appears in (a string) or on (a subject) a forum that maybe could be duplicated (by a mod or someone) that is more than worth saving and put where it can be easily found by anyone. If someone was able to spend the time doing it, it might be worth it.

Lee
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

Not new to welding but fairly new to STF. I voted yes after reading all the previous posts. I learned to weld when I was 9 years old, from my father. In high school, I learned about MIG welding and just a touch of TIG. Now my daughter is learning stick and MIG. In my immediate family, only my younger brother has had some "higher education" in welding, but there are 5 if us that can weld. Despite our lack of "formal education", none of our welds have ever failed although many are not very pretty. With this in mind, I'd be willing to post up some welding and fab pictures and try to help some one as much as I can. I think that sharing knowledge and having a place to access information is invaluable.
Dev
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail

2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
pickstock

Post by pickstock »

i dont think we need a welding 'forum' perhaps a custom bodywork forum but i dont see why we cant incorperate that in this forum area works so far

btw david why did your eagal change direction on the screen shot?? lols tripped my mind
Klaus our adventures in building a rally beetle.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWH4s3 ... 4KnPES3_A/
fabricator john

Post by fabricator john »

good idea , rust maintence , custom , fabrication ,,,, all together..................................................fabricator john
Stray Catalyst

Post by Stray Catalyst »

I could probably fill a forum simply with the mistakes I've made along the way... I'm a competent stick welder, but I originally bought my old bus as a way to learn MIG welding, and I have. Specifically, by making all the expected mistakes of self-teaching. I've learned a lot from reading build threads and gleaning knowledge from the clever things that people who know what they're doing, do.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

I keep reading this and I am sensitive to the issue. Fog may have hit the nail when he referenced "being easy to find". These are all way common topics for many of us. Me too, as a relative novice on the weld and fab side.

However, our forums are already big. We have a lot of forums and a big home page. Adding to it is always problematic. We recently combined forums under Engine Management, where there is a lot of interest, and although it focused the topic(s), I'm not sure it made things any easier to find.

Point is, there are tradeoffs here. I am willing to change, but would like to think it through. I am always less worried about the long-term STFs than I am the newbies. the pros will find their way. The new guys, not so much.

Even after 7 pages and no action, I am interested in all ideas.

doc