Shipping question

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
Stockolio

Shipping question

Post by Stockolio »

I tried this question in another forum and did not get a response so I thought I would try it here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking for some advice. I may be shipping an engine from Michigan to Texas. The question is how much does that usually cost and who should I use to ship the engine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bryan
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Thats a broad question.. I use about the most expensive shipper that can be found (fed Ex freight), because the engine arriving undamaged is of utmost concern. They cover the package for the invoice amount, unlike others that will pay you 35 bucks per 100 pounds of weight if the engine is damaged!!

With that being said, look at wwww.freightquote.com and www.forwardair.com

Expect it to be 250-500 bucks more than likely..
yilon

Post by yilon »

I can't really answer your question. However I will tell you what I can.

Several years ago I shipped a Type 1 from California to New York, via truck. As best I can remember, the cost was about $300. The key to the shipping was that the engine was very securely crated in a wood crate. If you have not thought a great deal about the crate, you need to. There were a couple of other pieces in the crate and the fastening of the other pieces was critical. [I did not do the crating or shipping, I am telling you what I was told.]

It is obvious. but just in case. The engine/crate will weigh 250 to 300 pounds. Two very strong guys can lift and move such a package [three or four guys better.] You need to check with the shipper and find out how the shipper will handle the loading/unloading. If they will use a forklift, you will either need a pallet or the shipper will most likely supply a pallet. Remember, if you are going to move the crate by hand you will need guys at each end of the trip.