First released pics of the TIV roller cam/lifters!

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

First released pics of the TIV roller cam/lifters!

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Here they are....

8620 Tool Steel cam blank, copper plated and ready for rough and finish grinding then heat treat and Ion Nitride
The lifters weigh in at 53 Gr, thats 30 grams less than our ceramics, 55 Grams less than our conventional performance lifters and damn near 100 grams lighter than a stock TIV lifter!!!

Here is the bushing system that drops right into the case and makes it all happen..

Close up of the CNC bushing

The cam is being ground to a radical profile I designed tomorrow, the first test engine will be on the dyno in two weeks or less. Its a 200+HP, 14.5:1CR 2270 beast with 52mm IDA carbs and plenty of head development!

Of all the things I have cooked up, I do believe this one will make the biggest impacts thus far...
See what a little effort will do?? It only took about 250 hours of effort to get this far!
Class 11 streeter

Re: First released pics of the TIV roller cam/lifters!

Post by Class 11 streeter »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:The cam is being ground to a radical profile I designed tomorrow....
:shock:

That cam is beautiful Jake, but......you are working so hard you are using up your "tomorrow" time before tomorrow gets here.........just live today, ok?
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
MASSIVE TYPE IV

That meant the profile will be ground tomorrow!!

LOL
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Shweet, (drools all over shirt...)
Last edited by Piledriver on Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

If yu picked up a lifter you'd freak!!
regis101

Post by regis101 »

The bushing system is so sweet, so simple. So does it have a couple thou press-in or what? Stock lifter bore or slightly hogged. Maybe even a slight stakeing to help prevent rotating ( for whatever reason).

I'm figuring that it's a solid roller. The guide pin prolly goes straight thru. Maybe two pins deep enuff to be stable and still allow the center oil thru hole.

Profiles can get pretty scary sounding as compared to the flat tappet counterpart. A buddy of mine had a [email protected] in a SB chebby and it had a smoothish idle. Can't imagine what profile(s) can be had for your monsters.

Don't forget about us little peoples. Mid 230's may be doable with stockish FI

Kudos and congrats on your continued saga

Peace, Regis
78 Campr
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Thanks!
The bushing is simple and very effective- this is it's 4th generation in just 9 weeks time and the best all around.

The bushing goes in without an interferance fit, only a very special epoxy is used to hold it in place. we have tooling being made that will bore the case .004 over size to provide worn cases with the exact dimension needed for the bushing to drop in and the tooling will also ensure the lifter bores are perpendicular with the cam centerline- something thats VERY important to the life of a roller..

I plan on running these without truing anything to see how the wear goes and if issues are created..

Mid 230s is where I want most of my engines to be in 18 months time.... 24 months ago our average engine made 150HP, now that same engine is 185HP with an equal or greater torque number and flatter curve- all with less RPM.

I can certainly see a roller 2270 with LE 200 heads and 9:1 making 215 driveable HP in 18 months or less...
Stripped66

Post by Stripped66 »

Jake,
looks great! I thought you were planning on running a self-indexing roller; any reason for the switch to the keyed lifters?

I gotta tell you, if those rollers are on-center, I may be kicking myself for running the Isky's. You've got 50 grams on me!!! :twisted:
MASSIVE TYPE IV

This is just one pic of a lifter/bushing combo.. We have 2 more to try as well...

The Iskys are very heavy- thats why I was trying to stay away from them..
Stripped66

Post by Stripped66 »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:This is just one pic of a lifter/bushing combo.. We have 2 more to try as well...

The Iskys are very heavy- thats why I was trying to stay away from them..
Is it a Chevy diameter lifter (.842")?

The Schubeck's were an option...but I wasn't about to take the chance for an indefinite wait time. The Isky's arrived 2 days after I placed the order.

Nonetheless, looks great! Great work!
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Yep it's an .842 thats been shortened with a pushrod cup relocation.
Stripped66

Post by Stripped66 »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:Yep it's an .842 thats been shortened with a pushrod cup relocation.
Very nice! If these make it to production, it would be a matter of machining a keyway into my (soon to be) existing set-up.

One thing I do like about my Isky's is the very tall pushrod-height. Yeah, a bit more weight, but I can run a shorter pushrod. I'll try to recover a bit by running John's dual-tapered alu pushrods.

Other than that, would I be incorrect to identify this lifter as a Schubeck? If not, then I would have to assum you found another source for silicone nitride? ('cuz that would be bitchin'!!!).
Tom Notch

Post by Tom Notch »

Kewl, Way Kewl. :)

and they will fit a wasser case 8)
Tom

Tom's Old VW Home
DVKK
DSD, dark side disciples
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Yep, they would fit a wasser, but I doubt you'd find a TI roller cam that would support a .510 wide roller...
Stripped66

Post by Stripped66 »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:Yep, they would fit a wasser, but I doubt you'd find a TI roller cam that would support a .510 wide roller...
There's always gotta be a catch, huh? :wink: