Very Frustrated

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.

Moderator: Daniel G

Locked
KevinM
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:02 pm

Very Frustrated

Post by KevinM » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:48 pm

So I've been reading STF for a while and learning what I can and listening to the radio program and I finally decided to convert the 1.7 914 engine that I bought over a year ago locally for $250 into an upright engine for my daily driver bug which currently has a stock single port, dual relief type 1 in it. I bought the DTM and the econoheader and tonight I started to take the heads off so I could send them to Len tomorrow and get the discount from the radio show. The right head came off fine and looks to be in pretty good shape from what I've read and seen on the internet. So I start taking off the left head and everything is going fine... and then one of the head studs pulls right out of the block--the the third one in on the top. It's an EA case with the stock Q heads. The history of the engine is unknown--I don't know how much mileage or how it was driven, though I was told it did run when taken out of the 914 it came out of (the guy who I bought it from had put a chevy engine into his 914 :shock: ).
At any rate, what are my options? I have very limited experience--basically I've watched the BugMe videos (including the Type 4 ones) and I've read the forums for a couple of years. I do all the basic maintenance on my daily driver type 1.
Is my type 4 case shot? Or can you do case savers on type 4's like on type 1's? Would I do better just to save up for another year and buy a whole kit (and a case) from Jake? My type 1 runs perfectly as it is so waiting and saving is a possiblity. Or is getting a used case and having the heads done, getting a new cam and lifters and p/c's, bearings and rebuilding with the rest of what I have a better (cheaper) way to go? Thanks in advance for any input--I've gained a lot of knowledge from everyone over the years. Sorry for the long post--I came in right after the stud pulled and posted this.

User avatar
Piledriver
Moderator
Posts: 21720
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 3:01 am
Location: Van Alstyne, Texas

Post by Piledriver » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:32 pm

Welcome to the STF.

DON'T PANIC.

Don't get frustrated yet, it's 30 year old parts, with an unknown history.
I'm sure Stupid People have touched it at some point.

Pulled out or screwed out?
(perhaps the PO installed the heads with an impact...I can honestly say I have seen T4 studs BROKEN but not pulled out of the block this way)

Anything can be fixed, and there is PLENTY of room around that hole in the block for a case saver.

Might have to have the machinist modify that stud down to 10mm on the block end...

...Cheap, easy, and strong in a 14mmx10mm T1 case saver. (Jake might have something special, but that's the obvious fix)

MIGHT even get away with a Heli-coil. The block material is pretty decent.

Keep going with the teardown, and clean/inspect the block well, THEN decide.

HAVE A MACHINIST DO IT.
I, for one, regularly embrace our new robot overlords, as I am the guy fixing the robots...

KevinM
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:02 pm

Post by KevinM » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:00 am

Thanks Pile, I appreciate the advice--especially the second line. To answer your question, it screwed out, not pulled out. I'm going to go ahead and finish taking off the heads and send them to Len and then probably take the case to Bugformance (where I get all my type 1 parts etc.) and have them do a case saver like you said. Thanks again for the help.

User avatar
Piledriver
Moderator
Posts: 21720
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 3:01 am
Location: Van Alstyne, Texas

Post by Piledriver » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:10 am

If it screwed out CLEAN (not thread damage) just... screw it back in with some blue locktite.

They CAN be scewed out, esp if the head nuts are rusted-on.

If the threads aren't borked, no damage done, just a PITA.
I, for one, regularly embrace our new robot overlords, as I am the guy fixing the robots...

MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 2:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:20 am

Pile is spot on with his posts..
This isn't a Type 1- a pulled stud does not compromise the case!

Worst case the area can be welded and retapped...

Continue the teardown and if the local shop can't help send the case to me and we'll repair it..

KevinM
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:02 pm

Post by KevinM » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:12 pm

So I checked the stud this afternoon and it looks okay, the threads don't appear to be damaged at all, and (just like you said Pile) the head nut is rusted to the stud. Like both you and Jake said, I'll keep going on the teardown and have the case inspected when I'm done. Thanks again.

User avatar
Piledriver
Moderator
Posts: 21720
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 3:01 am
Location: Van Alstyne, Texas

Post by Piledriver » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:12 am

Groovy.
I, for one, regularly embrace our new robot overlords, as I am the guy fixing the robots...

Locked