oil test results

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
blue77bay

oil test results

Post by blue77bay »

Jake after your marathon across the mountains and the massive oil test conducted within , are you in a position to release some data or do we simply follow the R.P recomendation ? I cant recall if you said its classified info or it was going to be available
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Blue77,
We have the data, the oil samples still are not all back yet from analysis.

This is such a highly controversial subject and some people have hit a nerve with me on it on other forums that Charles from LN and myself have decided not to release any of the information.

Basically it sucks to have to argue with people that have no idea what they are talking about and challenge your attempts to be as scientific as possible.
blue77bay

Post by blue77bay »

Thanks Jake
just interested , i take it you still stick by your R.P ..its a pity people want to argue facts and data from a heresay standpoint
Passatman

Post by Passatman »

ignorance is costly. I have suffered in the past and now it's time for me to start winning.
regis101

Post by regis101 »

Put me down for a case.

Regards, Regis
78 Campr
werka

Post by werka »

Honestly, even VW Trends and Hot VWs don't even give final answers on this topic. There have been several articles on oil in them and how synthetic may or may not hold in heat better/worse than conventional oil.

As for your tests, I would imagine you could still shoot some holes in how you tested it, but who cares. In any test case you have holes that you have to adjust to and deal with. Still the same, you did the tests, and you know the results. Data is data and people can deal with it or redo what you did to get their own (very doubtful because that takes effort).

Having a "recommended" oil though with info to back it up is useful though.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

I agree about a recommended oil. My engine customers are benefitting from our oil research. They don't argue with me.
huw'sspeedster

Post by huw'sspeedster »

Will the benifits also be available to your kit customers too?
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Unfortunately not. With kits there are too many variables that we simply cannot mandate, unlike our complete engines.

The tolerances and running clearances we use in kit engines are drastically different than turn key complete units.
51MAN

Post by 51MAN »

Oil, that old conundrum.....

I am a validation engineer and have to deal with facts and objective testing, its amazing how some companies/magazines etc "test" things, but miss some basic rules, then try to justify the results, when they actually mean squat.
I am sure Jake etc will have covered pretty much all the bases though...
huw'sspeedster

Post by huw'sspeedster »

Do we get a recomendation with the kit spec,I know there are variables but surely there are good oils that work like the royal purple? And a standard like Castrol 20w50 to run in with?Do you know of any way to get royal purple in the UK are any of your current Uk owners running it?I have tried the dealer in the UK but they have never stocked it?
regis101

Post by regis101 »

Put me down for two cases
Unkl Ian

Post by Unkl Ian »

What was the quote,
about new ideas meeting opposition from small minds ?

Seems fitting. :roll:
MASSIVE TYPE IV

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -- Albert Einstein
I learned long ago that there are four topics that will never settle. I also learned that my time is better spent trying to overcome their impacts, rather than attempting to educate those that will never listen to the teacher.
1- Type 1 Vs Type 4
2- Hydraulic lifters
3- Cooling system function and theory/resolutions
4- The topic of engine oil in general

I will never write anything in a public (forum) format again on these subjects. My time is better spent applying my thoughts to better components- those who appreciate what I create have taught me this in the past few years.