DTM in winter time

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
MetalSlug

DTM in winter time

Post by MetalSlug »

I was reading through the stuff on the aircooledechnology site about the TI DTM. I'm going to be getting a more than mild 1914 TI motor built by Chico and was considering the DTM since I've heard and read good things about it he installs them on the motors as well.

My question is, I live in the outskirts of Los Angeles and the temps in the winter time can get down to the 40's at night. I've read good things about the cooling of the DTM, but as I read on thesamba, most people who use them have show cars and probably won't drive as much. Mine will be a daily or every other day driver (only time I won't drive it is when it rains).

I read on your site that if you simply switch to a non-doghouse fan, it should help in the winter when it comes to engine warm up. I don't know what would be considered "too cold" where I would have to change out the fan, so I just wanted clarification.

Thanks
samcat

Post by samcat »

Install a good thermostat between the oil cooler and case takeoff (into the oil lines)... When oil is cold it will stay shut and let the oil warm up to operating temperature quicker :)

Sam C
ʇɐɔɯɐs
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

40 degrees! Man, you left coast guys have it tough. Talk to the air cooled crowd in Minnesota. 40 below!!

I know Jake has talked about changing to the smaller width fan if cold weather and DTM combination kept things too cool. Once your DTM is set up, changing fans is literally a 10 minute job. Much better setup than stock. Couple of bolts and the whole alternator, alternator stand, backing plate and fan just pull right out. This is a nice feature of the DTM setup.

However, I'll be surprised if the "cold" temperatures in LA are going to warrant any changes. For most of us, you're just talkin' sweater weather.

doc
MetalSlug

Post by MetalSlug »

doc wrote:40 degrees! Man, you left coast guys have it tough. Talk to the air cooled crowd in Minnesota. 40 below!!

I know Jake has talked about changing to the smaller width fan if cold weather and DTM combination kept things too cool. Once your DTM is set up, changing fans is literally a 10 minute job. Much better setup than stock. Couple of bolts and the whole alternator, alternator stand, backing plate and fan just pull right out. This is a nice feature of the DTM setup.

However, I'll be surprised if the "cold" temperatures in LA are going to warrant any changes. For most of us, you're just talkin' sweater weather.

doc
Haha, I knew someone was going to rag about LA weather. I don't live anywhere near snow, so its cold to me! :D Thats why I said I don't know what would be considered "cold" for the DTM where I would have to make changes to the fan.
500LbGorilla

Post by 500LbGorilla »

My engine has used the DTM in zero temps. The oil temp will not be too cool, at least not for long. The pressure springs in the galley should take care of oil warmup. You could run a power pulley in the winter if you need it to warm up faster and keep a little warmer.

If you have a stock engine, you do not need a DTM. If you have a bigger engine that has more heat and power output, it is a great option.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

500 pounder said it really well!!

I have tested the DTM in the coldest temps we see here, and found that a more narrow fan was welcomed. It only takes 20 minutes to change the fan!
MetalSlug

Post by MetalSlug »

Well, it would be going on a 1914, so not so big, but not so small either. That really clears things up 500lb. I think changing the fan would be an easier option than changing out the pulley.

Thanks for the replies :D
Class 11 streeter

Post by Class 11 streeter »

You might also consider having 2 alternators with each set up with each size fan. You don't have to switch the fan around and you have a backup alternator in your spare parts storage.

Jake sells alternators! :lol:
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
MetalSlug

Post by MetalSlug »

Its a good sugesstion, but thats another $300+ for another alternator. Easier to just change the fan.
500LbGorilla

Post by 500LbGorilla »

Fan easier than pulley? Ya think? Man, I think I'd rather change the pulley. No alternator stand bolts, no gen strap, no removing carb linkage, no backing plat bolts, no shimming the fan, no removing the fan nut.. a pulley nut and a crank nut.. piece of cake to me.

But hey, it's up to you. :)
MetalSlug

Post by MetalSlug »

500LbGorilla wrote:Fan easier than pulley? Ya think? Man, I think I'd rather change the pulley. No alternator stand bolts, no gen strap, no removing carb linkage, no backing plat bolts, no shimming the fan, no removing the fan nut.. a pulley nut and a crank nut.. piece of cake to me.

But hey, it's up to you. :)
Thought everyone said its a 5-10 minute job with the DTM :?
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

I have been spoiled by the Type 4 shroud..

The Type 1 is a bit more work.

The Type 4 doesn't even need the generator stand removed, pop off the belt, loosen the strap, loosen the fan and slide the alternator out easily.

Changing the pulley ratio will effect the engine in different ways than swapping the fan.