Type 4 DTM V2.0 is ready to sell! Pics within!

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Type 4 DTM V2.0 is ready to sell! Pics within!

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

This started out as a system made specifically for the Porsche 914, now IT IS AVAILABLE FOR ALL VWS JUST LIKE THE CURRENT DTM!!.

I tested it and revised it all last summer and had excellent results- it cools almost identically to the standard DTM as fas cylinder head temps are concerned. Only a few internal changes were needed from the original shroud, amazingly enough!

After bringing the 914 version to the market earlier this year I decided to make a kit that used a similar shroud with the deleted oil cooler housing because of space limitations on our Turbo engines as well as for a cleaner look that some customers ask us about from time to time.

This kit is virtually the same as the standard DTM, it uses the same surround tins, but it only deltes the oil cooler housing and feed tube, REQUIRING an external oil cooler to be ran.

The cost of the kit is 50.00 less than the current DTM kits stage basic-level 4!! It works great and looks great very similar to a stock shroud, much more stock looking than the original DTM and to some people that matters..

Here is the backside without the cooler housing

We have one in stock and these will be inventory items at the Type 4 Store from now on.

BTW- these are NOT available in carbon fiber.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Sorry for a stupid question, but...

With the DTM in a 914, can all the body-side engine shelf/tin just get removed?
MASSIVE TYPE IV

No, we have the tin for a 914 and it comes with the kit. Sealed engine bays are a must to keep fan inlet and carb inlet temps to a minimum..
Here was the prototype installed in our 914, 181 ponies worth..

Here is the prototype 914 shroud

And here are the surround tins. These are now waterjet cut and much nicer than these plasma cut units that we used to make it all happen.

my65bug

Post by my65bug »

Nice work. So how how much temp difference without the oil cooler?
MASSIVE TYPE IV

It was very hard to test, basically the difference was the engine when cooled with the original designed shroud needed a 48 plate mesa external oil cooler along with the stock TIV cooler.

To attain the same temps without the stock cooler in the system I needed to run a 72 plate mesa cooler..

The head temps are nearly exacting in level and differential as with the original DTM...
Wally

Post by Wally »

Nice!
What are the 4 tins rivetted next to each plug location for?

Tnx,
Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
MASSIVE TYPE IV

They are bent level and used to attach the surround tins to..
Class 11 streeter

Post by Class 11 streeter »

Jake
What are the chances of using the DTM heater box feed outlets (upright) to feed the T4 oil cooler in the stock pancake location?
I KNOW you thought of this, and I KNOW there is a reason why you didn't do it......... :lol:
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
MnMike

Post by MnMike »

Mmmm sexy...
MASSIVE TYPE IV

I KNOW you thought of this, and I KNOW there is a reason why you didn't do it.........
Mostly due to development costs. I already have most of the design done, but it costs so much to make a change this big.
dstar

Post by dstar »

DUDE! You have GOT to test/install a velocity ring! I'm interested in seeing what it would do to the numbers.

Now THAT would be SWEET! DTM with a ring!

Don
buggpower

Post by buggpower »

can that be put on a type 1 motor? i just want a cool looking shroud thats lighter than the stock one.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

I already offer a DTM for the Type 1 engine, this one won't fit.

see www.aircooledtechnology.com/cooling for info.
buggpower

Post by buggpower »

I got confused, ummm whats the price for a T1 kit, an why does it need all the other stuff, if i was looking at the right one?
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Nope, you were looking at the Type 4 conversion kit

Look here
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/stor ... hp?cat=250

The only other thing you have to buy is a Type 4 oil cooler, the Type 1 shroud utilizes it as a huge benefit!