DTM Testimonials??? TI or TIV, do you have one??

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

DTM Testimonials??? TI or TIV, do you have one??

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Tom's post about his head temps dropping 125F over a stock system made me realize that I have never posted the testimonials like his that I have received over the last 3 years...

So I figured I'd start this post to gather some more of them so we can post them on the site with the ones I have had for so long but never did anything with..

Tell us your DTM story, it can be TI or TIV or it could be a Oregon Performance DTM as well.

If you used the DTM to replace an existing system try to cover the temp differences you saw as well as the difference in installation compared to the previous system.

Try to give us an idea of your engine and its general power rating as well as the way the DTM provides reliable motoring...

If you don't want to post yours here because you are a lurker thats not registered, thats okay, just email them to [email protected] and I'll post them for you to the pages anonymously for you, or I'll include any information that you may want shared about you and the car.

Always remember that without Joe Locicero the DTM would not exist and most certainly the TIV engine would not be as widely accpeted as it is today. Thanks Joe!

May the testimonials begin.
Last edited by MASSIVE TYPE IV on Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
74Shagenwagen

Post by 74Shagenwagen »

I have a type I, 2165, wedge port heads, 10:1 CR. It produced 200 hp, 171 ft/lbs on Jake's dyno. It's in a '73 Super Beetle (heavy!), with tall gears.

The DTM is awesome! Head temps stay around 300, never as high as 350. Oil temps never reach 180...

The other day, Jake gave this car a good thrashing and the temps remained nice and cool!
MASSIVE TYPE IV

The other day, Jake gave this car a good thrashing and the temps remained nice and cool!
Yep, made a right turn out the driveway hammered it to redline and held it there.. Burned tires through three gears...

getting those kinds of temps with a TI making 200 ponies with the summer heat we had had lately is almost unbelievable! But I saw it!
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Original OPP DTM in the 1910cc engine, Ran it hard as much as I could. Heat reading didn't change. One day, ran it with the oil cooler hose off, head temp jumped 50*... I didn't know why. Then, saw the hose was off. Imagine that, no air going to the cooler, and still ran cool(er)

Also happened to someone else I know. :)

E
DudeAndHisBus

Post by DudeAndHisBus »

So almost a year ago, I was at the Sevierville show and sold a '61 Beetle that I had for sale. The dude gave me a nice deposit on it and I walked from the Beetle over to Jake's stand and ended up buying a type 1 DTM within about 20 minutes. Yeah, I haven't used it yet... :? How's that for a testimonial? :lol:
slowtwitch

Post by slowtwitch »

My original OPP DTM (thanks E), looks great on my workbench :|

pete
MASSIVE TYPE IV

A customer that could not log in just sent me this
Jake, tried to post on the reply, but could not post. Thought you could add this for me. Mark

I started out with a FAT 911 fan cooling on the RAT engine 1.8 in SCCA.
Jakes testing showed that if I switched to a smaller, earlier fan pulley, I could get beter cooling. I had been running 425 and that smaller pulley cooled it to 400, at Daytona, in August

We next adapteed the DTM to the 914 and it cooled the heads to 325, at Daytona, in August, down from 400 with the 911 system with no other changes!

One more modification, Nickies from LN, lowered the temps to 300, at Daytona, in August.
that was running an engine with very high compression and over 7000 rpm for over one minute at a time, the high banks at Daytona
Good work Jake.
Mark
ps the car is for sale
BajaT4

Post by BajaT4 »

Yea, I was one of those non-believers thinking that the stock system was good enough for VW so it must be good enough for me. So my head temp was normally 425F (measured on cylinder number 3 only), big deal. At least it wasn't 450F! My heads were rebuilt and guranteed not to drop a seat by Mark Stephens HP in the hills of California. I'm not knocking them in an way, the heads haven't dropped a seat yet and they've been subject to 450F temps.

So I've been running type 4's for 20 years now and the most annoying problem was that I had no room for a decent exhaust system because of the stock shroud. My initial reason for purchasing a DTM was to have more room for a quieter exhaust, not a cooler running engine!

So I watched Jakes video once through, read the instructions and started putting it together. Had a couple questions and as always, Jake got back to me in a timely manner. I was finally able to build a cleaner and quieter exhaust system, but that wasn't the best part. I was now equipped with a Westach dual CHT gauge to see what both sides of the engine were doing. On my initial drive I swore the gauge was broke. 300F??? I've never seen temps that low! I have purposely tried to raise the head temps by running that engine hard on the hottest days of the year. Most recently, the ambient temp was in the mid 90's while the cylinder head temp remained 275-300F.

The engine BTW, is a 2270 that I personally built, balanced by Jake. Its had a few hiccups and I've probably spent about as much as it would have been to just have Jake build the whole setup and send it to me BUT I never would have learned as much as doing myself.

I've got to thank Joe Locicero as he was the original creator of the DTM shroud concept (I'm sure he's smiling down on all of us). Jake, you've taken his dream and made it a true success through your hard work and perseverence. I can't thank you enough.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

That was one excellent post!!!

Yes, Joe Locicero was the man that made it all happen.... All I did was prove it, and make it a more standardized unit..

You should have seen the look on my face the first day of comparative testing, I was also in disbelief and even bought a new CHT gauge to use as a control for my other instruments to ensure they were not broken!