107mm Nickies! Pushing the MAX!

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
bo

Post by bo »

cmon jake. i saw a 95mm crank on the net the otherday you should put on of those in the engine your building.
ngobet

Post by ngobet »

I just saw this interesting post and I wonder how you can adapt a 90mm in a crankcase? are you not using a stock one? What kind a rod? chevy journal? I think you have to drop the camshaft to prevent the rods from hiting?

I'm really interested in this configuration, thanks for the answers!

Nicolas
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Cam isn't being dropped. we are using a roller profile with not much lift at the cam, coupled to some very high ratio rocker arms.

The crankcase is stock, I don't work with aftermarket cases. No need.
ngobet

Post by ngobet »

very interesting! I was told that it's hard to put a crank with a bigger stroke than 86mm. If you say that, I'm going to change my configuration (90mm chevy journal).
who makes such camshafts? do they have any good design for turbo?
How do lifters look like? Do they require modifications of the case?

what kind of rocker arms? pauter?

Humm, how many RPM did you reach with such a crank?
MASSIVE TYPE IV

we are developing all the roller components in house, going with a roller camshaft is whats making the 90mm stroke a possibility.

trust me, a 90mm stroke is a challenge, even for us. This engine will have about 300 hours of assembly/prep/design before it ever gets fired up.

We are also developing the rocker arrangement- I got tired of depending on others for parts long ago.
ngobet

Post by ngobet »

I understand better now. So 86mm is truly the biggest stroke for a normal person?
Wally

Post by Wally »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:
trust me, a 90mm stroke is a challenge, even for us.
:shock:
Will you be using a (less expensive) billet Scat one for this or will you maybe ask Scat to make you a 'truly' forged one because of the extremely little overlap of rod and main journals?

R&R rods?

Best regards,
Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Yes, our R&R rods will be used along with a Moldex crank- IF I decide to go 90mm, if I stay at 86 or less it will be a Scat more than likely, but will have a ton of mods.
Passatman

Post by Passatman »

Jake what is the quality like on a moldex crank, is it ligther than a scat crank, do they have the bearing surface ion nitrated.