Pics of the new Billet Chromoly rods! (warning, BIG pics!)

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Pics of the new Billet Chromoly rods! (warning, BIG pics!)

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

RAT/ LN engineering designed non "winged" H beam on the left, The "winged" H beam in the center and the I beam version of the same rod on the right! The extra material of the winged design adds incredible strength to the portion of the rod that fails most, the area adjacent to the rod bolt!

The application for the I beam rods is primarily our Turbo engines as the I beam is a tad stronger, but is also heavier by a few grams. The H beams would be better for higher revving applications, or where reciprocating weight needs to be reduced.

Some various poses of the different designs available

This rod will be seeing 400+HP within the next couple of months...
Here is the chunk of steel it was whittled from

The rods we designed for stroked engines have the thinnest caps possible and should drop in with big cranks much easier than ever before. We (RAT, LN and R&R) were able to stuff a 3/8" bolt into a space that generally can only fit a 5/16 bolt. This allows a super duty bolt as well as good clearance benefits. **for strokes over 82mm clearancing of the rod will need to be done on a case by case basis according to cam**

The above finite element analysis shows our "winged" design, which reinforces the weakest area of the rod in this case, at the rod bolt head shoulder. The beam shown is a pre-cursor to our final dual taper H beam design.

We only made up a few extras in this first batch to sale. I have one set of 2.0 big end, stock 2.0 length, 24pin left (basically a bad ass stock rod) as well as one set of 1.7/1.8 big end with 5"beam and 24mm pin as well. These were made as extras for E and F prod engines, but could be made to work with any other combo.

I also have one set of Chevy journal, 5.325 beam, 22pin available as well. The others are all finding their way into some big honkin Turbos and Cohibra's 2.9L project...

We are taking orders for the next production run that will be in about 6 months. The sky is the limit, you choose the big end, beam length and pin size..

Hats off to Charles for yet again going over the top to create a fully engineered component! The tests and processes these rods have required to be completed is absolutely amazing!!!

Price for all rods is 1,000.00, no matter what design or specs. The machining and hone sizes are to the same level of accuracy as that of "Nickies" as these are manufactured in the same facility. THESE ARE 100% USA MADE, NOT MADE IN CHINA! The only rod in the same category as these is Carrillo and they are roughly 500.00 more money!

Here are some more specs:

Mil Spec Aircraft Quality Double Re-Melt E4340AQ Chromoly Steel

Exceeds 300M Specifications!

Fully Machined Billet, Not Forged Surface Peened Through Hardened

Cryogenically Treated Balanced within a Gram

Aerospace Quality ARP Fasteners AMPCO 45™ Bushings

Magnaflux Inspected and Rockwell Tested
gaston

Post by gaston »

I love this finite element analysis pictures. Lokks good. 400+ HP. Will this be the first Turbo application? :D

Oliver
Can Drive Soon

Post by Can Drive Soon »

They are so pretty!
MASSIVE TYPE IV

gaston wrote: Will this be the first Turbo application? :D
Oliver
Yes, for this rod it will be.

Lots and lots of Turbo packages are coming together here. Between len's super exhaust port redesign, my camshaft design and the fabrication of Turbo systems for conversions a lot of hard work is about to come together really soon...
fl_buggy

Post by fl_buggy »

What is the purpose of the non-winged H-beam if they are all the same price?
R2.0

Post by R2.0 »

Ooooooh...Shiny!
1972 Karmann Ghia Convertible

"As God is my witness I though turkeys could fly." - A. Carlson -
MASSIVE TYPE IV

fl_buggy wrote:What is the purpose of the non-winged H-beam if they are all the same price?
They were done more for an analysis than anything else. I am personally not using any of the non winged rods, those belong to Charles and I just posted them for comparison sakes...
cnavarro

Post by cnavarro »

Some rods do not accomodate the wing design properly and would actually throw off the stresses. It also adds some extra weight, and some people would prefer the lighter, more traditional looking rod.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
Unkl Ian

Post by Unkl Ian »

Jake: what are the HP/rpm limits for your
regular H-beam rods with the 5/16" bolts ?
TedzBug

Post by TedzBug »

Truly awesome work..... I love that you guys have gone to the exent of running FEA simulation on these too. Very nice looking pieces there.

Gives some of us the stuff to dream about ;)
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Thank you Jake! now, the big question, since I'm a cheap bastid, what's the cost for these puppies per set?

E
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Off the shelf with the supplied bolts I don't push more than 220HP through them without upgrading to Carrillo bolts, but thats according to RPM, rod ratio and piston weight more than anything else. Lighter pistons don't stress the bolts nearly as much and a better rod ratio slows down piston speed, both of which make big differences in what the bolts will need strength wise.

As usual, everything is dependant upon everything else...

My 3 liter used our standard H beam rods upgraded with carrillo bolts and was just fine even with a short rod and mega heavy piston.. BUT it only needed to turn 5K RPM to make 235HP.

Ephry, READ THE DAMN TEXT IN THE ORIGINAL POST!!!!!! The price is clearly stated!!! :lol:
TedzBug

Re: Pics of the new Billet Chromoly rods! (warning, BIG pics

Post by TedzBug »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:
Price for all rods is 1,000.00, no matter what design or specs. The machining and hone sizes are to the same level of accuracy as that of "Nickies" as these are manufactured in the same facility. THESE ARE 100% USA MADE, NOT MADE IN CHINA! The only rod in the same category as these is Carrillo and they are roughly 500.00 more money!

:) read the whole post for answers................
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Ooops. Should've opened the window more. :oops:

E
Mike Durkee Jr.

Re: Pics of the new Billet Chromoly rods! (warning, BIG pics

Post by Mike Durkee Jr. »

"The only rod in the same category as these is Carrillo and they are roughly 500.00 more money!"

What about Pauter's?