Smaller plenum = more power?? It can!(sidewinder test too)

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

dstar wrote:IF by plateless, you mean a slider type, it would STILL create turbulence, just LESS turbulence.

What would be REALLY cool, is to use a multiplate setup that mimmics a camera's shutter. Airflow stays centered and just gets larger or smaller.
:twisted:

THAT would be a PITA to design though......
8)

Don
Think dual slider ;)
dstar

Post by dstar »

AHHH! Easier to design and impement, yet still keeps the airflow
centered, so that the plenium design is simpler.

Less dependance on the *turtle* to enhance splittign the airflow
also....

Don
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Slider valves have problems...and those that already exist had issues (like Kugelfisher).

(1) slider plate TB's are very sensitive to vibration and sticking.
(2) If you are working with a round hole in the slider plate...then what you get.....is an assymmetrical opening...constantly changing not only opening size as you pull the cable......but shape. That changes the shape and direction of airflow. Not that its undesirable....but just a vast amount of math and testing to see what shape of opening works bst for your plenum. Ray
dstar

Post by dstar »

Damn Ray!

That makes Toms donut looks like a hemmoroid device!
:shock:

OH! Wait! They already use those fer that.......
:oops:

:twisted:
Don
Tom Notch

Post by Tom Notch »

Ray's idea is very closely related to an extrusion machine that makes seamless stuff like tubing
Tom

Tom's Old VW Home
DVKK
DSD, dark side disciples
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Tom....you freakin freak...mind reader! :D That is exactly where I got the idea.! I used to work for a company that made extrusions! Kept looking at their dies....and how well they could control dimensions by the position of the center die. Ray
Tom Notch

Post by Tom Notch »

:)

the extruder is just a cousin, Ray, the closer relative is the needle and seat action of an old SU carb. :shock:
Tom

Tom's Old VW Home
DVKK
DSD, dark side disciples
Plastermaster

Post by Plastermaster »

I agree about the oil temps. with a 72 pass external cooler my temps level off at 130-140 deg above air temps.

Ron
bongofarmer

Post by bongofarmer »

I like Rays applacation here. take a look at the SR-71 blackbird's air intake control, cones are moved in and out to control air volume to motor, sort of an inside out version of this idea. on the other hand i'm suffering from turbulance issues myself. bongofarmer
ZoSo914

Post by ZoSo914 »

bongofarmer wrote:take a look at the SR-71 blackbird's air intake control, cones are moved in and out to control air volume to motor, sort of an inside out version of this idea. bongofarmer
Funny, that is exactly what i was thinking while reading this. im still trying to wrap my head around the way you would support the assembly. The drawing is probaly going to be totally different from what i have pictured.
d_fault

Post by d_fault »

Ok, I thought I'd chime in here... I've been doing some work on this exact same topic now for over a year... and I think I've got something that would work given the venturi bore size, and fuel delivery nozzles were calculated out for the best atomization. I'll scan in one of my sketches to give you guys an idea of my approach to it, all criticisms welcomed....

-art
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Bear in mind though.....the "bullet"I am proposing is not designed as a venturi. It is simply a metering device.
It will by default have some characteristics of a venturi. One thing is may do...I am hoping....is to allow much much mor encremental control of the vacuum signature that is generally created right behind eh edge of the throttle plate in a normal TB. I believe this is so....because once the throttle plate moves too far in distance from teh wall of the TB and the vacuum port opening....the actual venturi effect is spoiled.
With a "bullet" in place of a throttle plate....I have found that the actual lift...or amount the bullet has to be moved out of the TB bore....is so small compared to the actual movement of a throttle plate. This is because there would be no throttle shaft....and no turbulence that is normally caused by the plate being at poor angles to inrushing air. At the very least...you should get some stable vacuum signature at small part throttles....unlike the throttle plate that can lose its signature at a very small amount of opening.

But....speaking of venturis.....one thing I am working on...is a small, thin, steel or aluminum venturi tip that attaches to the injector tip. It does several things....if I can shape it right. (1) it uses the high velocity air rounding the bend of the runner....to hyper-atomize fuel with air...inside a protective tube. Just like a carburettor. (2) It gets this "blast" of fuel/air...closer to the open valve....before it exits into the surrounding space in the port. This way it gets more of the atomized fuel at a higher velocity.....straight into the valve opening. It also keeps the cone of spray from the injector...at the right size to fully enter the valve...instead of having more of it splatter onto the walls of the port.
There is a part....but without venturi slots and curvature...that already does this. It has been used on several volvos that I have seen. It is an aluminum bell shaped injector tip extender and spray concentrator.

But.....it is only reall useful when the injection happens when the valve is open. So some semblence of seqquential injection is nescessary. Ray
d_fault

Post by d_fault »

Here's what I had in mind... Throttle body & Carburetor designs...
they were quick sketches in pencil & pen... so if they are tough to make out I apologize...
Carburetor design
Throttle body design
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

That is very similar save for the shape of the "plug"...as mine are. That may have done wonders for carburettors.

The problem with putting injectors up in teh TB...is that it negates about 70% of teh benefits of fuel injection. You may get better atomization...but it all falls falls ut of suspension in the rnners. But.....getting rid of teh butterfly turbulence would help any application. Ray
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

I bet it would make for a very interesting feel of the throttle.