Belated tribute to Joe Locicero, 4 years without him...

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Belated tribute to Joe Locicero, 4 years without him...

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

I was on the way to Europe when I realized that July 1, 2002 marked the day that we lost a true TIV innovator and a great man, Joe Locicero. I have made an effort to each year begin a post that would help the older TIV enthusiasts remeber Joe and his sharinga nd innovation and also provide a basis for "Newbies" to know who the man was and what he did for the Type 4 conversion- This year I am late and that doesn't make me happy.

To the original members of the STF from 2000 Joe was here pretty much from day one. His screen name was "Joseph" and his witty remarks and incredibly detailed assistance helped many of us (yes, that includes me) understand some deeper thoughts with the engine and just mechanical things in general. When anyone would call Joe the conversation was not going to be prompt, most of the time you'd have to pry yourself away just to have a short 30 minute conversation with him. Joe could talk for hours about engines and would help anyone do anything mechanical- they didn't even have to ask.

Some of the newbies may not understand that without Joe two very important components for the TIV engine would not exist. These are :
1- The DTM.. Joe designed and built the DTM and made each one by hand right up till the very last one, made only two weeks before he died. Joe spent years of his life creating the Type I and Type IV cooling systems, which he began in the early 1980s, but did not complete for nearly a decade after that. Joe was never able to finish all the development with the Type 1 shroud, but was able to make over 1,000 of the Type 4 shrouds over about a 12 year period.

2- The other product that was inspired by Joe was "Nickies"... On one of Joe's long chats with Shad Laws back in 1999 Joe put the idea of an Aluminum Nikisil plated cylinder in Shad's head and after that it has all been history as Shad and Charles along with some of my assistance perfected the product....

To me Joe will always be my Hero, even though I never had the chance to meet him. Joe and I would talk for hours on end about TIV engines, old Ford Tractors and just life in general (all the way back to as early as 1992). When he had a hard day or wasn't feeling good he would call me and I'd do my best to make him feel better. He would also do the same for me as the early days of my Type 4 promotion campaign were not as easy as they have been since Joe's passing. When I had a hard day, or broke parts doing something crazy it was Joe who reminded me that "If it was easy everyone could do it"... His words of wisdom are still in my notes and still stuck into my head.

Thanks Joe, we all miss you.

(BTW- If you have a Joe story post it here for all others to see)
sinistervw

Post by sinistervw »

I got into the vw's in 99. at that time i was too green to even know the TIV exsisted.

I remember reading a article in one of the VW mags or online about Joe arround 01 and thats when i found out about the TIV. Allthough I passed it off because then I though the TI was da bestest, it definitly made me aware of other things out there for sure though.

Its guys like Joe that i greatly admire. Like Jake said he was one to help even before you could drop your hat. We need more people like Joe in this world. Genuine, Always ready to help, and Loads of knowledge to condribute.

I wish i can be half the man that Joe was.