Deck Height and compression ratio

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
JohnBC

Deck Height and compression ratio

Post by JohnBC »

I am building one of Jake's 2270s. As you know he is off on a well deserved holiday. Unfortunately I figured out my deck height one day too late! Here is what I have: 58 cc chambers, flat pistons and 0.80 (2 mm) deck height. This gives me a compression ratio of 8.9:1.

What should I be aming for with a street engine on pump gas? More like 9.2:1 ish?
JohnBC

Post by JohnBC »

Cam number is 163/86b and it is going into a 914.
Dean

Post by Dean »

Hi John,

Sorry I can't help you with your question on what the compression ratio should be but I do have a question for you. Do the heads you got have a step in them and was the cc's written on the head include that step? I was looking at the Hotvw article on the torquer and it seems that the step is not included in the cc measurement. I'm going to try and cc the heads this weekend to find out but I don't have a bore plate that will fit so it's not going to be very accurate.
JohnBC

Post by JohnBC »

Did a bit more digging and found Jake's recommenmdation was 0.055" which works out to about 9.3:1. I was able to work the shims I had to hit 0.050", about 9.4:1 which should be ducky.

My heads are from Len and the combustion chamber volume was stamped on the back. No step but they are not VW castings.