Econo header design question

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
arlo

Econo header design question

Post by arlo »

Jake, I was just looking at your photos of the Econo Header in your R&D section and noticed something about the tube routing I was curious about. In all the 4-1 headers Ive seen the tubes are routed into the collector in an order so that the exhaust pulses occur in a continuous circular sequence around the inlet to the collector (4,3,2,1 either clockwise or counter clockwise into the collector). I am no header expert and I dont know why this is done...maybe to generate some kind of benificial vortex or something? Looking at the 4th picture down I can see that your header is not that way. Either 1,2 or 3,4 would need to be swapped into the collector. It appears that this would have been just as easy to do. What is your thinking about this?
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Actually...

The header pictured as the econoheader is not the final design..

After those pics were taken two more designs were developed and the latest was accepted after final testing. You can see this if you look a few posts below containg these pics from a customer with an econoheader installed.

Here is the original econoheader design..

We only swapped the designs due to ground clearance with the original design and the fact that the first design limited the expansion of the engine when used with added stroke.

The third version, that was adopted as the final was the best one by far, giving the best clearance, the best ease of assembly and the best performance..

Now with that being said, the "Econoheader" was designed to work on stock engines and mild 2056 combos the best. We tested it on a mild 2270 for the hell of it, but it was nott designed to "shine" in that application. Performance was secondary with this header, primary objectives were a good fit, ease of install and cost effectiveness with "all right" performance.... If you want mega performance the A-1 is what you need.

I simply forgot about the old pics being on the site, and I also need to add the data from the tests...
arlo

Post by arlo »

I do see the differance Jake but it appears that on the customer's header the upper pair of tubes into the collector are from 2,4...I am not certain because I cant see the connections to the exhaust ports in that picture but it looks that way to me. Is that correct? If it is then this is the same rotational exhaust pulse order as the original in your photos and is not circular. To be a circular pulse pattern 2,4 and 1,3 need to enter the collector diagonal to each other not next to each other.

Do you know what I'm talking about? I dont know how important this is because I dont know the theory behind it but everyone seems to do it the other way and yours looks like it could just as easy have been too if you want. Maybe someone who knows more about the importance of this than I do could comment.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

The sequence that the pipes enter the collector should cause no issues with this type of colector that was used. All the pipes dump into the collector and the goilet is made evenly not favoring any cylinder or firing sequence.

The header was designed for fit and function as well as ground clearance, the pipes were arranged to provide all of this more than anything else and that was to keep COST down.

Very sldom do i work on a combination or development with cost as the primary challenge, but this header was an exception. what mattered most was ground clearance, versatility, ease of asembly and a leak free nature with strong fastening points.

It never entered our minds that the pipe sequence could be altered, to attain the other more important goals of the system the pipes had to be arranged in this manner.

Now, if the system were being made for maximum HP potential without a cost threshold more thought and design would have went into the collector.

BTW- I exceeded my alloted budget for developing this exhaust by 2.5X, and that was just to make it a solid, non leaking, easy to install system.... The closest system to this on the market cost wise is from FAT and you better have a full fabrication shop at your dispoasl when you attempt to install it! Cut, Chop and weld has a whole new meaning.
arlo

Post by arlo »

I understand and agree with those goals... and good work!

I just happened to notice this and thought I'd mention it since it might be a small oversight that could be corrected with a simple swap of either 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 where they enter the collector but if it causes a tangle or cross over that messes up ground clearance or makes it harder to build than its probably not worth it but you may want to run this past one of the header experts that you know some time if you havent already.
timgud

Post by timgud »

Is this header available from you at this time Jake? And if so as a kit form or pre-welded? Just put the type four on the stand today and am looking for some type of header for it. Will use this in a baja instead of std. bug but fabricating a muffler to work is no big deal for me.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Yes, it is available on my store site as a ready to install unit, no fab work necessary.