Video of cross country trip.

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
samcat

Post by samcat »

And if you want to download the video simply use the following plugin with firefox... Lets you save youtube and google video (and many others) to your local pc..

http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php

And this link to the video on video.google.com
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2948599513

;)

Sam C
Last edited by samcat on Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ʇɐɔɯɐs
crocteau

Post by crocteau »

Take him! Take him! :lol:
I really got a kick out of that video; thanks for posting it! 8)
Cohibra45

Post by Cohibra45 »

That really was a great video. Well done Bill and Jake!! :D

Seeing you 'talking' with the man and him saying something about he wouldn't do that..., well he sounded like a true enthusiast.

Congratulations again. Car sounded great and I am impressed about the trip and all.

Kelly (Cohibra)

BTW, Jake did you have a chance to use the little 'Pinz' knife I sent you. Maybe you should post a picture of the little thing? :twisted:
Kelly (Cohibra45)

When only the BEST will do............

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/
Passatman

Post by Passatman »

I laughed real hard at the first portion of the video. Jake was getting in bills ass about some stand, but it was all in good fun. Great video though i really love the strong engine note from the engine you can definately tell the engine was well built. At one point in the video you guy's were doing close to 100 MPH for 5 miles, that's great can't do that with a type1. It's also important to note that the car did over 3000 miles without any major issues. LONG LIVE THE TYPE4.
500LbGorilla

Post by 500LbGorilla »

Passatman wrote:At one point in the video you guy's were doing close to 100 MPH for 5 miles, that's great can't do that with a type1.
I'll bet I can. My oil temps would be higher without external coolers like Jake had. Jake knows my engine, he'd probably say it's the exception.

Now 3000+ miles.. well, lol.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Yeah... 3000 miles without a wrench on the engine is a feat that I was sure we could do but I still can't believe it!

500 pounder could probably reach the same speeds, but only till the type 1 was heat soaked and that more than likely would be just before 5 miles, they simply lack cooling surface area and the components do not shed heat very well at all compared to the TIV...

The video was reality- thats the way the whole trip was, wild and crazy with spur of the moment decisions and plenty of exciting things happening..

Bill had to edit some of the funniest moments though- they were not rated "PG"
samcat

Post by samcat »

Dare I suggest an outtakes video, put it on youtube as they allow adult content/age restrictions ;)

Sam C
ʇɐɔɯɐs
Bill K.

Post by Bill K. »

Still laughing about the Bad Elf that Jake ordered onto the roof when he was copping an attitude while helping me datalog :lol:

Jakes' dreams are definately not appropriate for google video :shock:
500LbGorilla

Post by 500LbGorilla »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:Yeah... 3000 miles without a wrench on the engine is a feat that I was sure we could do but I still can't believe it!

500 pounder could probably reach the same speeds, but only till the type 1 was heat soaked and that more than likely would be just before 5 miles, they simply lack cooling surface area and the components do not shed heat very well at all compared to the TIV...

The video was reality- thats the way the whole trip was, wild and crazy with spur of the moment decisions and plenty of exciting things happening..

Bill had to edit some of the funniest moments though- they were not rated "PG"
I've run about 85 for 10 minutes but never dared press my luck with the highway patrol by doing 100. :) CHT's approached 350. Oil temps start to go up, but if I had an external cooler I could deal with it.

Remember I have Birals too. Cylinder composition helps some. A T1 with Nickies and external cooling could take it I'm pretty sure, built right.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Nickies would help, but that extar cooling fin surface of the TIV and the fact that the exhaust ports are totally filled with cooling slots all around them just can't be paralleled by an engine with a side exhaust port..
500LbGorilla

Post by 500LbGorilla »

I'm sure 100 would be manageable for a while, but start putting a real load on that engine, like towing a trailer, and that T4 is gonna shine, no question.

I'm not trying to get you disbarred, Jake, hope you realize that. I'm just saying, "let's be reasonable". It's impossible to compare the two in terms of cooling and such, the T4 has better features in that department. The exhaust designs sure make a difference too.

BTW, where'd you sample your oil temps at?
craigt-from-atl

Post by craigt-from-atl »

Jake,

At about 10 min into the video (and another time as well), it sounded like you revved the engine a couple of times with the clutch engaged to "blow out the heat."

Is that what you were doing? Revving the engine? It really lowered the CHTs by 30deg that fast? (I think that's what you said in the video)

Never heard of that before; good to know for later if it works. :)

Awesome video, enjoyed it.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Yes... I learned that on the dyno where it's common practice between RPM levels during power tests.

It was only done with this engine to see it's effects at different elevations and temperatures while datalogging...

Sudden blasts of coling air from the fan and gulps of intake air through the heads are both cooling agents, with the clutch depressed load is removed and it makes it that much better...

Most CHT gauges won't respond to a change like this that fast- you'll hardly see it on a VDO, but you can certainly see it when your instruments are as fast responding as SPA..
70dragbug

Post by 70dragbug »

Definitely a cool video and a great idea with the data logging and gps tracking! I really enjoyed it! I also enjoyed your interview on volksbash radio.

That motor that you went cross country with was a customer motor right? So what did you put in it to get back?
Passatman

Post by Passatman »

Jake shipped the car back home and took a flight back to atlanta.