RAT Torquer Tour Day3: 1 Driver, 1 Day, 1100 Miles

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
Bill K.

RAT Torquer Tour Day3: 1 Driver, 1 Day, 1100 Miles

Post by Bill K. »

Map is updated partially from the road. www.aircooledtechnology.com/crosscountry/

* 800 miles behind us today, 300 to go for Denver
* Ave speeds of 70-80 mph
* Max sustained speed of 95 mph for 15 miles (video on the way)
* Crossed a zero visibility thunder storm, passing all the water pumpers
* Testing engine bay air temps and affect on CHT, EGT, OT
* Found #4 EGT to be low regardless of smaller jet, decklid open 2", and higher velocity stack inlet temps -- suspect A-1 header #4 primary length (engine has been checked for mechanical integrity before the trip -- Jake will explain more when he takes his foot out of it...)
* Fan inlet temp sensor has been moved from behind shroud to inside the air filters at the inlet to #4 and then #2. Now it is on the dip stick to map out engine compartment temperatures with the deck lid propped open 2" and closed (data posted later). Jake is interested in the affect of engine compartment temperature on engine performance in an early, unaltered engine bay with the car at cruise speed above 75 mph.
* So far, 1 dyno oil and 2 synthetics have been tested.
* Crazy cross winds were an issue across Iowa and Nebraska making it almost impossible to control the car

Open roads ahead with sweet sunset,
Bill
new2bugs

Post by new2bugs »

Damn!! That is alot of miles. How are you updating this? In the car on the road? or at the truckstops? Are you using a Cellphone for Wireless INternet Dial up access?

Any news on the Oils tests, Or are you just taking iol samples, to test at a later date?

Tim
Bill K.

Post by Bill K. »

Today's its been from GPRS modem on laptop from car on the road :D

The oil tests involve pre and post run chemical analysis. Other than the standard Castrol 20/50 we started with, brand names will not be disclosed. Jake is investing in this testing and will use the results as he sees fit. I've been sniffing and looking to see what it is, but he's keeping them secret for now.
Mase

Post by Mase »

Bill... got some wheel bearing grease... what time do you want me there??? 7am???

-Rich
Rich Mason
Thornton, CO
'74 Ghia Cabrio
'64 Ghia T34 Coupe
Passatman

Post by Passatman »

I am watching all the post here about jakes trip and i was wondering in addition to hotvw buildup would any of the type1 gurus find it necessary to end the debate about type1 and type4, that is which is more reliable and do what jake is doing 3000 miles on their type1 build. I bet you those engines wouldn't last the first 500 miles.
sinistervw

Post by sinistervw »

Passatman wrote: I bet you those engines wouldn't last the first 500 miles.
The type 1s are not Thats bad!

This sucks! I am moving back to Ca 2 weeks to late! I hope Jake will be at Septs BOR.
Vielzidub 3

Post by Vielzidub 3 »

Wow! :shock: Looking forward to keeping up with the updates on the trip! :D
Bill K.

Post by Bill K. »

Wow is right, that was a LONG day. 3 hrs sleep and 24 hours on the run. We rolled into Denver last night about 1:30am. Luckily we found a place open for some dinner outside of Denver. I was a mess and could barely talk with a straight face to place my order. Jake was as chipper as usual. I'm convinced he gets "high" off of not sleeping and pushing himself to the limits.

We got a good nights sleep and are off to re-jet for the climbing we'll do today.

The engine is running even smoother and more consistant than when we started -- it likes the miles. CHT were repeatedly within 2F across all cylinders :shock: Popping the deck lid open was interesting as it dropped the EGT's with the extra cool intake temps with a small decrease in oil temp and little to no change in CHTs. These are our first impressions without having time to analyse the raw data. We've put about of Gig of data on the hard drive and I'm running behind on our updates.

Initially, we did a quick check to verify the Plaques odometer and found it to be close, but after looking at several gps based distances and comparing them to the odometer logs, it appears the Plague is short by about 5%. We will do a thorough assessment to calibrate our mileage results and may be making changes to posted data to show the actual mileage based on the GPS distances. Nevada straight away's will be a good place to do this.

Today, we look forward to the scenery today and don't plan on moving the fan inlet temp sender around or running with the decklid propped. We'll be in Salt Lake tonight and meeting up with Art Thraen of Aircooled Engineering.

Mile high,
Bill
Wally

Post by Wally »

Bill K. wrote:Wow is right, that was a LONG day. 3 hrs sleep and 24 hours on the run. We rolled into Denver last night about 1:30am. Luckily we found a place open for some dinner outside of Denver. I was a mess and could barely talk with a straight face to place my order. Jake was as chipper as usual. I'm convinced he gets "high" off of not sleeping and pushing himself to the limits.

Mile high,
Bill
:lol:

I hope you're not one of the 'mile high' club, now you've spend the night with Jake :shock: :lol:
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
Can Drive Soon

Post by Can Drive Soon »

Lol! :o
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

8) Bill K. ,
Keep those Updates coming. It is absolutley awesome data to monitor.
Yes there are a few of us watching the computer download info. :D
Last input was Leg #8.

Go Jake Go !!
Thanks,