RAT dyno tuning

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
regis101

RAT dyno tuning

Post by regis101 »

Greetings. IIRC, when you dyno tune a customers engine, one of the runs is at 20% (?) load to simulate real time? If so, what load would you run a bus engine? My point is that I'm still trying to justify that one of your 2270's with somewhere around 150hp/150tq would survive in a bus/westy knowing that the cruise rpm range is 3-4k. Am I still pissin' in the wind? Thanks, Regis
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Regis,
I have tried to configure 2270 engines for use in a Bay window Bus and without Nickies the results have been less than favorable. The issues are mostly related to the temperature delta that the stock shroud promotes when under such heavy load, especially at lower RPM.

My dyno tuning for complete engines not only tests the engine at full throttle, but also at 10, 25 and 50% loads across the RPM range.

I no longer offer dyno service for individuals, only for my complete, turn key customers. This is mostly due to trying to pick up the pace here and shorten wait times for turn key engines back down to the 5-6 month range...
regis101

Post by regis101 »

Very well then
gaston

Post by gaston »

Is the temperature problem also on a bay window with original shroud ans with LENs new heads? Combustion temperature and so the cylinders temperature are VE based problems - or i'm wrong?

Oliver
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Its primarly a heat soak issue, no head will eliminate that.... when the cylinders are heat soaked the engine stays hot.
gaston

Post by gaston »

Yep.
With heat soak you mean heat transfer (heating the air by comming into the combustion chamber)? This means you lost a lot of energy by cooling wich is not available for power - so thermic efficency is low. I think the problem/limitation of all Type1/Type4 engines are the head designs which doesn't allow good flame fronts. This is why i asked in an other thread for 4 valve heads for Type 4 engines (centric plug => good flame front => better thermic efficency, exhaut polution, power,..).

Don't get pissed. It's no attack against you. I'm discussing limitations of the general head design and how to improve it.

Oliver
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I think he meant "giant hot iron cylinders" more than heads.

Nickies apparently solve the issue, the combustion chamber is the same, soo....
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.