Air compressor companies quality?

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
SCOTTRODS

Re: Air compressor companies quality?

Post by SCOTTRODS »

I might look at the Quincy units at Northern Tools for a really decent HOME unit as well. They have some pretty nice stuff. Avoid the el-cheapo stuff at Northern tool....
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
craigvwdude

Post by craigvwdude »

Just to let you know, there are only about 3 compressor manufactures. Most just stick their lables on them.
Stay away from the oil-less compressors. And make sure you look for one with cast iron cylnders.
hugging corners

Post by hugging corners »

compressors get pricey.
Ive got 2 of them for dirt price. Obviously bigger u go more expensive it gets, and 40-60 and bigger gallon is where the price escalates.
First compressor Dayton i found on the street and rebuided it for 30 bucks.
Second compressor 40 gal i bought on the meet swap for 40 bucks thats with dual piston pump, 3 face 220- strong machine.
Our local Scrap yard has IR GAS powered...60 gal big unite for 60 bucks.

What i am trying to say it it not difficult to refurbish a unite its mad simple, just make sure tank is not rusted. goood luck and and if you give yourself some time u can get one at offordable cost.
....i would steer away from craftsman-i have burned out 2 small oiless types.
carmangary

Post by carmangary »

Yea, if its for hobby even one of those harbor freight jobs would probably do until you needed parts for it. I have a Craftsman that has been used quite a bit. I painted my car with it and used it for dry sanding the paint. I use it now mainly to pump up my tires. It's one of those diaphraghm jobs and is super loud. I hate it for that. I want to replace it with one that has pistons one of these days.
fusername

Post by fusername »

I have a red oil-less 30 gal 2hp craftsman, and it actually is really great. really surprised that it ACTUALY puts out teh CFM the tag says, I measured it w/ a stopwatch and some math. I plan on buying a bigger one tho, and the IRs seem to have the best reviews and look the most solid. gonna go oiled for the power, but sad to give up the ability to paint. Will need to sell the 30 gal, can't afford both.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
E_bug

Post by E_bug »

How about Toro?
My welding sucks .
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Little homework will pay off here. All compressors are just a motor, an air pump, a tank and some electrical stuff. No matter what name brand is on the front, the electric motor is likely to be GE or Baldor or Emerson or other. First 3 are US made high quality, expensive units likely to give lifetime service in a home shop. Pumps the same - probably made by just a few companies no matter the compressor brand. They buy the pumps. Tanks is tanks pretty much (gotta check out used though). Electrics is pretty much electrics. The pump and the motor are meat and potatoes.

Whatever brand you're considering, check out the make of the pump and motor. Do the research on those. It may help you make a decision.

doc
56SemaRag

Post by 56SemaRag »

I have an I-R 5hp 2 stage 60gallon and love it.
56' Semaphore Ragtop Subaru (Build)
Subaru Engine & Transmission
Mendeola Suspension

69' Karmann Convertible (Build)
Suby AWD Driveline

05 Suby Baja Turbo - Stage 2+
07 Legacy Spec B - Stage 2
15 Suby Forester XT
Chiebr

Post by Chiebr »

I sorry for bump an old topic I just have a few interesting observations from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the future. Maintainance is key for air compressor longevity. If you get a big compressor to stay away from the oilless ones. Make sure you track the hours and change based on the run hours. get good oil specifically for air compressors. Invest in a good auto blow down there 200$ but will save your tank especially on anything over 30 gallons. If you're in a humid environment considered pulling you air from a conditioned space. Locate your compressor in a place so it can get adequate cooling. Most flywheels on bigger compressors have fins built into them to help move air to keep it cool but if you put it too close to a wall ( or my personal favorite) build a box around it to cut down on noise your just shortening the life of your new investment.
I bought it used and it was in a body shop. Well, I've used it for 2.5 years with no problems until yesterday. Mine is the older version with the Emerson motor https://mechanicguides.com/best-60-gall ... ompressor/ which went up on me. I was powder coating and the compressor kicked on while someone else was blasting and all of the sudden I saw a huge spark (seemed like a flame as my back was facing it). I thought it was the pressure switch and quickly found out that I am not the only one who has had this problem (the Emerson motors are known for this). I still love the compressor and am debating on whether or not to go buy a new one and use my tank or just upgrade to the largest one I can run in the garage.
.I like to watch YouTube videos of a similar subject when I'm looking for information about the right product. I hope this helps someone in the future. Good luck!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6zddqNIdFs
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Don't forget to drain the tank on a regular basis and get a water separator for the air outlet. A necessary thing for those of us that live in humid places and also to accommodate for seasonal changes. Also, if you are painting look into a water separator next/close to the gun.

Also, for those small carriable/moble compressors: always bleed the air out after each use. This gets any moisture in the tank out of it.

Lee

Some people recommend emptying the compressor after every use (once a day) while others suggest a bit longer times to drain the fluid out.