Painters help needed. Advice on removal of "wet"

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
62Volks

Painters help needed. Advice on removal of "wet"

Post by 62Volks »

Greetings,
I had my car at a friends body shop and was having it painted a candy apple red using House of Kolors paint. The day after the car was painted he noticed some tears and rips in the paint along the corners of the doors, deck lid, and a few other places. He told me that the tint was not fully dry when he sprayed the clear coat on top of it and that is what caused the tears. A month later and a few dollars short, I had to tow the car home and fix what was done. After a little bit of sanding, I found out that the entire outside of the car needs to be prepped again because the tint is still not dry.

Now to my questions:

-Is there a way to harden the tint so it can be sanded out without gumming up all the materials I have (sandpaper, sanding disks, etc)?

-How would you go about removing the paint relatively quickly (without having to dip the car)?

-Would you use a wire wheel on the outside if you were going to have to seal and primer the car again anyway?

Im trying to find some tips on how to do this without having to dump a lot of money into the car since I dont exactly have deep pockets at this time being a full time student and paying rent and all that good stuff. Right now, I just want to get it primed and running so I can get to and from school and work.

Thanks you for any and all help!

~B~
warrenbaity

Post by warrenbaity »

i would say that if you payed the guy to paint it and it didnt come out right, then you should take it back to him and have him redo the job and make it right.
E-boyz67

Post by E-boyz67 »

Yup,I would do that,but if you get nowhere and have to do it yourself then to dry the paint it will take at least 90 days to cure.Do you know a friend or someone who has a IRT(infrared curing lamp) it cures the paint from the inside so all the solvents are gone. First you will have to find out how many coats of paint the painter applied and set the timer on the IRT unit and dry the areas that needs to be repainted.Check with House Of Kolor for the proper dry times.Hopes this helps.
blackace

Post by blackace »

Well I would strip the door with paint stripper and reprime it and paint it again. If you try to sand it out the only that it will do is gum up the sand paper making the sand paper useless. When painting you have to add addatives to the paint in regards to the climate. Say for instance if it was very hot out you have to add retarding addative to slow the drying process so that the paint doesn't cause overspraying on the paint which will give a grainy look and feel. In your case either the paint was mixed incorreclty, hardner was not added or could have been the primer.

But I would have to agrree with warrenbaity if you took it to a paint shop regardless if it was your friend's shop or not he should fix it. He would let this happen to anyone else correct? If he did it would be bad business practice should be out of business or incompitance.

Whaaaa?

Post by Guest »

Um, that Kandy is supposed to be MIXED into the clear, not applied as a stand-alone product. It is called Kandy Koncentrate for a reason. The buffoon who applied it should strip it ALL off (you can't touch-up Kandies) and reapply it properly.

Post by Guest »

Oh and I almost forgot: he needs to remove ALL the Kandy before respraying as it will bleed through most anything you put over it. This guy does this for a living?????