starting settings for mig welder

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
Conv.Keith

starting settings for mig welder

Post by Conv.Keith »

Would someone give me some mig welding settings. I have a Hobart 135.
What should the setting be for the gas. I started with the power on the lowest setting and the wire feed on 10. I would appreciated any suggestions.
Mach1VW

Post by Mach1VW »

I'm not sure what you're asking but here goes! If you want voltage and wire speed settings, there should be a chart on the inside of the door of your welder. It lists metal thickness, gas type and wire type and size. As far as gas flow, I run mine at about 25-30 cfm for co2. The numbers may be different for other regulators/flowmeters. If you don't have a flowmeter (vertical glass tube with ball inside) I would say 7-12 psi for indoors or no wind.
I like to test weld on a scrap of about the same thickness before I weld the real thing! Have fun!! :wink:
Kubel Nick

Post by Kubel Nick »

Different settings for different welders. Even if it's the same brand, etc, the correct setting will vary job to job. You will have to change it all the time depending on what you're welding. Fool around with the settings (wire speed setting most frequently changed) to get the feel on how and what works best to get you more acquainted on how your welder works.
supervw

Post by supervw »

I have the same hobart 135 welder as you. for me what works well on body metal is 1 for heat, and dialed down to nothing on the wire feed. but thats what i use. i also have .23 wire and tips with argon/Co2 mix gas.

and like said above, TEST it first! play round with setings, gun travel (how fast you move the gun) wire stickout...ect.