What now?

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
alsehendo

What now?

Post by alsehendo »

Im kind of lazy and decided I wanted to do restore a little at a time over the summer. Couple of very small pieces of tin spot welded in for rust repair 1 by 2 inch square. Paint was orange which I ditest, (originaly red) but was in good shape. I sanded whole car 230 grit. Some places had to be lowered a tiny bit so some bare metal showed. I also lifted with surface putty very very slightly in some low spots. Realize this car had 0 dents or noticible scratching to start with.

I spent many hours leveling by gringing with 80 grit and using surface puddy an hour at a time that then checked by flat sanding with black leveling indicating primer

I did decided to then use an enaml based primer from rust-oleum, it says professional on the can. It says it can be used with high performance enamels. I am now wet sanding that down with 400 grit untill the orange just barly bleeds through consitantly every were on the car.

I want to use my just aquired gravity feed sprayer to lay down a 2 stage acrylic emamle on top-yes they have what they call a clear coat. Problem is I have mucho time, and almost no cash.

Should I sand all this can primer I layed down compleatly off and reprime with spray on high desity primmer? It is so thin now you can see the orage bleeding through but is very consistant. Should I just prime another coat over it with the good stuff. Note the rustoleum has kept my work from rusting over the summer as it sat outside while I did a little at a time.

What can I expect if I paint over this can primer. This car will be used and is not for show. The wagon will be driven in snow to and from a ski hill, (Volkl snow board in the back) in the UP of Michigan so the paint will see some nasty stuff.

Secondly can somone point me to a site or book that gives the ins and outs of using this new fangled gravity feed sprayer. I know how to use the old time one my pops gave me.
alsehendo

Post by alsehendo »

Figured I would have to spray good last final coat of primer--I alreasy purchased it from the autobody store.

Should I make sure all the can stuff is compleetly removed. I used it to do some leveling. I can;t aford a professional paint job unfortunatly.