Window Regulators on my 1973 Beetle. Help please!

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
Jim Ed

Window Regulators on my 1973 Beetle. Help please!

Post by Jim Ed »

Hi.
I want to replace the window regulators on my 1973 Beetle.
I can roll them down but, can not roll them up without removing the door panel and pushing up on the bottom of the window while turning the window crank handle.
I saw a video on youtube about this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obA6cNJnam4
He recommended cleaning up a good used window regulator and using it vs. buying a poorly made brand new window regulator and using that.
What do you recommend?
TIA!
Steve Arndt

Re: Window Regulators on my 1973 Beetle. Help please!

Post by Steve Arndt »

Find a low miles original. There is a used vw parts shop here with hundreds of doors.

I take the regulator and invert it so bottoms are up. Then flush flush flush the internals with penetrating oil. This flushes out all the bugs, dirt, gravel, dried grease, etc. If it hasn't been stripped out they are usually fixable. Getting them in and out of the door can be a beeoch so take some pics before.
Marc

Re: Window Regulators on my 1973 Beetle. Help please!

Post by Marc »

Automatic transmission fluid works well too. After they're all flushed out and working freely, smup grease in the tracks...I prefer white grease (such as Lubriplate) - it's not as thick as the factory lube so IMO it's better in a cold climate like yours, and should still last for years between applications.