Body/chassis sealant

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
JHHeiger

Body/chassis sealant

Post by JHHeiger »

So i lifted the body of my KG off the chassis for rust repairs and found the stickiest, nastiest sealant on the body chassis joint known to man. I'm scraping most off, but what solvent to use to finish the job??
itawolf

Re: Body/chassis sealant

Post by itawolf »

Stiff wire wheel , steady preasure and slow speed. Like in a 1/2 drill. Should peal it right out of there.
Then try to keep it wet with laq thinner

Or maybe Mek

But all that is some bad stuff

Just get ready for alot of work
RET Marine 0317 --with VW on the lobe!!
Lots of iron in the fire
SCOTTRODS

Re: Body/chassis sealant

Post by SCOTTRODS »

I'd try them in this order

1) Alcohol... it may cut it easily, it may not cut it at all, but it evaporates quickly and allows you to move on to the next one which is

2) Toluene... Some Adhesives have one base, some another... Toluene takes a little longer to evaporate, but not much longer than alcohol in my experience... But it's likely one of the types of solvents that are used in Adhesives... Toluene is the base of the "Goof off" branded Products and works well to remove the adhesives left behind by Decals... it removes tar pretty well from Automotive paints without harming the paint as well.

3) MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) - STRONG Solvent, will also remove the old paint involved in the job you're working on. If you don't have any access to this product, take some of your wife's Fingernail polish... It would be based in Acetone and Does the same, but evaporates quicker than MEK.

I've run into that Adhesive before, and it's definitely not water based, otherwise I'd have offered up Soap and Water first. The Slowest to evaporate, but sometimes it's that simple on Sticky stuff... Soap and Water. Go figure.
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297