protection before actual body work?

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
noslzzp

protection before actual body work?

Post by noslzzp »

greetings,

i'm new here and working on a project. i've read a few of the body work posts but have a question:

my car is currently having the chassis work done and it will be some time before i can get to the body work. it has a good amount of surface rust at the moment (a '59 ghia). Should i coat the car in POR-15 (or similar) to stop further rusting? Will that make the body work harder in the future? will it effect the paint? i should be ready for the body work in 2-3 months.

thanks for any advice!!
Introducing the Basilari 306R - '58 low light Ghia, 300HP+ boxer 6
http://basilari.com/
bens collision

Re: protection before actual body work?

Post by bens collision »

has the car been repainted since it was built? im going to guess yes. if it has a lot of surface rust it was probably painted quit a while ago, maybe we'll guesstimate 20 yrs? so if your going to start the body work in 2-3 months, that is a short amount of time compared to the 20yrs ago that it was painted, and if its original paint then its even smaller amount of time. guess what im getting to is that the car isnt going to rust much more in 2-3 months than what it already has, so id say save your money and dont do anything until your ready to start the body work. por15 isnt cheap and neither are the grinding disks youll need to get the por15 off