Body rot (pic heavy)
-
mac2881994
- Posts: 146
- Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:30 pm
Body rot (pic heavy)
Now that the pan is all done, it is time to start on the channels and front firewall. This what I am starting with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
-
mac2881994
- Posts: 146
- Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:30 pm
Re: Body rot (pic heavy)
This is all for now. New channels and firewall should be here from CIP1 by Friday. Fingers crossed. More pics to follow after cut out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
-
mac2881994
- Posts: 146
- Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:30 pm
Re: Body rot (pic heavy)
The boss did give me this for Christmas though. She either loves me or wants something. LOL.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
- david58
- Moderator
- Posts: 14100
- Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm
Re: Body rot (pic heavy)
Where do you plan on starting?
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
- Piledriver
- Moderator
- Posts: 22879
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am
Re: Body rot (pic heavy)
I'd guess by buying "many, many cut off wheels"david58 wrote:Where do you plan on starting?
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
-
mac2881994
- Posts: 146
- Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:30 pm
Re: Body rot (pic heavy)
To be honest I am still trying to figure out which one to start with. The drivers side channel is complete toast, the passenger side seems solid except for the area that attaches to the fire wall. I may only use the lower pieces of the new firewall. I will play it by ear when the new parts get here Friday. I have already started stocking up on cut off wheels and Rol-loc sanding disks for the trusty high speed. I need to finish pulling the wiring harness, stripping the dash and the drivers side door panel.david58 wrote:Where do you plan on starting?
For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
-
mac2881994
- Posts: 146
- Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:30 pm
Re: Body rot (pic heavy)
If there are any STFer's in the Ft. Campbell area that have any experience with this type of repair feel free to PM me. All the advise and experience I can get would be appreciated.
For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
-
BAJA-IT
- Posts: 2046
- Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:02 pm
Re: Body rot (pic heavy)
A good spot weld drill bit may come in handy too!
Replaced the RH heater channel on my son's 72 this summer, now I need to do the rear quarter panel, not due to rust but from being hit on the right side long before he got the car. Bondo was 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick on the quarter.
Replaced the RH heater channel on my son's 72 this summer, now I need to do the rear quarter panel, not due to rust but from being hit on the right side long before he got the car. Bondo was 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick on the quarter.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
-
mac2881994
- Posts: 146
- Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:30 pm
Re: Body rot (pic heavy)
[quote="BAJA-IT"]A good spot weld drill bit may come in handy too!
I picked one up when I redid the pans. I want to get the parts in hand before I start cutting everything out. The top half of the firewall is still solid, so I was thinking of just replacing the bottom half from just above where it becomes a double wall panel. I just half to make sure and measure six or nine times before I start cutting anything.
I picked one up when I redid the pans. I want to get the parts in hand before I start cutting everything out. The top half of the firewall is still solid, so I was thinking of just replacing the bottom half from just above where it becomes a double wall panel. I just half to make sure and measure six or nine times before I start cutting anything.
For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
-
BAJA-IT
- Posts: 2046
- Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:02 pm
Re: Body rot (pic heavy)
I understand, I'm still deciding on where to cut the quarter panel, and I have the replacement.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
-
mac2881994
- Posts: 146
- Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:30 pm
Re: Body rot (pic heavy)
According to UPS the channels and firewall should be at the house Friday when I get home from work. I guess my weekend is planned out for me now. Wish me luck.
For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
-
mac2881994
- Posts: 146
- Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:30 pm
Re: Body rot (pic heavy)
Channels and firewall have been here for a week or so. The rest of the repair panels should be here today. Hopefully after the holidays I can get started hot and heavy and get this done.
For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
-
mac2881994
- Posts: 146
- Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:30 pm
Re: Body rot (pic heavy)
I figured I would start here. The drivers front fenderwell is cut out. it only took about an hour but then I realized I don't have any weld through primer for inside the a pillar plus I have a small place on the front side of the a pillar to patch while it is out.david58 wrote:Where do you plan on starting?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
-
mac2881994
- Posts: 146
- Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:30 pm
Re: Body rot (pic heavy)
a couple of close ups of the a pillar and the firewall that will be replaced. I am thinking of only replaceing the lower half of the firewall. I will probably cut just above the double wall transition point on the firewall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
-
mac2881994
- Posts: 146
- Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:30 pm
Re: Body rot (pic heavy)
I got the passenger side cut out this afternoon. The previous repair had to be cut out first in order to get to all the spot welds that were covered up by it. They didn't even bother to cut out the rust, just laid a piece of metal over it and lap welded it around the outside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.