Beetle Rear apron

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
JHHeiger

Beetle Rear apron

Post by JHHeiger »

I'm thinking about removing the rear apron, and oprtion of the engine bay tin to aid me in replacing the engine. I know I don't have to do this, but think it may be a good idea for now and the future.

What's involved?? 1962 Beetle
Qurtys Lyn

Re: Beetle Rear apron

Post by Qurtys Lyn »

JHHeiger wrote:I'm thinking about removing the rear apron, and oprtion of the engine bay tin to aid me in replacing the engine. I know I don't have to do this, but think it may be a good idea for now and the future.

What's involved?? 1962 Beetle
I believe all you have to do is drill out the spot welds that hold the rear apron on. You can then keep it removable by reattaching it with the fender bolts.
Fusername's evil twin

'72 Std Beetle - 1641 CC
BRAT Motorsports #936
Buggin_74

Post by Buggin_74 »

Qurtys Lyn wrote:
I believe all you have to do is drill out the spot welds that hold the rear apron on. You can then keep it removable by reattaching it with the fender bolts.
Thats all I did with mine, been that way for a couple of years.
1974 Germanlook 1303 Suba-Beetle
Subaru EJ25 Boost R 17", 4 Wheel discs, Topline suspension and A/C
Sketchy_1

Post by Sketchy_1 »

What ever you do be sure when you are removing tin to make engine removal easy you are not removing tin that aids in the cooling of the engine. Removing the tin that has the "C" channel engine seal is also attached to the apron. The only way I see it being done properly and have the ease of engine removal is to have the one large engine seal sectioned into three pieces. The apron, channel tin and seal all come out as one piece.
Buggin_74

Post by Buggin_74 »

Nothing needs modifying, all you need to do is unpick all the welds then cut the engine bay seal where the apron channel ends so that piece stays with the apron and the 2 side bits stay in the car.

Sketchy_1

Post by Sketchy_1 »

Sketchy_1 wrote: The apron, channel tin and seal all come out as one piece.

I thought that's what I said
Buggin_74

Post by Buggin_74 »

I was talking about your statement
Sketchy_1 wrote:What ever you do be sure when you are removing tin to make engine removal easy you are not removing tin that aids in the cooling of the engine.
You dont need to remove or modify any tinware or even the bodywork aside from unpicking the welds.