Bumper stumper......

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
Fahrfrumnuvw

Bumper stumper......

Post by Fahrfrumnuvw »

I've got a '71 for which I recently aquired new (to me) bumpers. The chrome is in decent shape and overall the bumpers are better than the ones currently on the car. Except for the black tape that runs along the center of the bumper. It appears to be 3/4" Pin Stripe tape. I've scoured the internet and local auto supply stores, best I can find is 1/2" solid black tape, it will probably look okay, but I was hoping for 3/4". I need a total of about 32-36'. I should mention that I did find 3/4" on a boat supply web site, but 150' at a King's ransom.
Anyone have an idea as to where I might find what I'm looking for before I go and apply the 1/2" stuff?

Thanks,
Wayne
Weaponer

Re: Bumper stumper......

Post by Weaponer »

I used electrical tape on mine. I put it on in 2005 and it's still there.
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

Might try contacting a source that prints up racecar graphics...

Here's the guy we use for example: http://www.deyounginc.com/home.html

Or... http://pitstopusa.com/i-5067452-isc-rac ... 90-ft.html
Fahrfrumnuvw

Post by Fahrfrumnuvw »

Thanks for the ideas, I had thought about electrical tape, but was worried it would peel off too easily, but since the car is only used during the summer, it might work. Did heat affect your tape? It can get into the 100's here in Reno.

The second idea of going to a graphic design shop had come to mind and I'll try a few in town, I was concerned that they would want more than I was willing to pay. I figured $5-10 per bumper tops, otherwise the electrical tape would suffice, even if I had to re-apply each year.

Wayne
Weaponer

Post by Weaponer »

For the last two years, my car has been garaged. Before that, it was never garaged. Winters will get below zero many days for a few months. Summers will see 100+ for a few days of summer. When I put the tape on, I made sure I cleaned the bumper well and I wrapped the ends around to the back of the bumper.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Maybe window tint? Never tried it but it is UV stable and vinyl like.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Or, mask off, do a little prep and Paint! A rattlecan of good quality stuff will look great and last for years.

doc
harryset

Post by harryset »

I've been looking at my new bumpers, and if that crap comes off, it's getting painted instead of taped.
'72 Standard
"I am the proud owner of a "Hoover Bit".

185 60's, EMPI disc kit, EMPI 2 1/2" dropped spindles on the front.
185 65's and stock binders on the back.
SecondSkin - Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro for sound control.