Internal frame spray

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
harryset

Internal frame spray

Post by harryset »

Take a look at this video: http://www.eastwood.com/undercar-drivet ... ozzle.html

I bought some and used it inside of my heater channels, napoleon hat and inside of the front firewall areas. It took one can to do this much. The product has the consistency of water, but coats very well.

So far this is the best I've seen for getting this kind of stuff done. I, for one, will feel much better about what's going on inside of these areas.
'72 Standard
"I am the proud owner of a "Hoover Bit".

185 60's, EMPI disc kit, EMPI 2 1/2" dropped spindles on the front.
185 65's and stock binders on the back.
SecondSkin - Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro for sound control.
dstar5000

Re: Internal frame spray

Post by dstar5000 »

You ARE aware that you will have HOT air running through the heater channels and heating
up this product that will be blowing in your face?

From the website:

CONTAINS: Dimethyl Ether (CAS #115-10-6), Acetone (CAS #67-64-
1), VM&P Naphtha (CAS #64742-89-8), Zinc Phosphate (CAS #7779-
90-0), Toluene (CAS #108-88-3), Aromatic Solvent (CAS #64742-95-
6), n-Hexane (CAS #110-54-3), Stoddard Solvent (CAS #8052-41-3),
Xylene (CAS #1330-20-7), and Aromatic Solvent (CAS #64742-94-5).
DANGER: CONTENTS EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE AND
UNDER PRESSURE.
Do not puncture or incinerate container. Do not expose to heat or store
at temperatures above 120°F.
Harmful or fatal if swallowed. Use only
with adequate ventilation. Irritating to skin and eyes.
WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of
California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm

Hope you have all the kids you'll ever want!
;)

Don
harryset

Post by harryset »

It's paint, it will cure.

I don't plan on storing the can inside of the heater channel, so I probably won't have to worry about puncturing, incinerating or exposing to heat over 120 degrees. I'm certainly not going to eat it.

The other warning about cancer comes on everything from toasters to computers, probably new cars as well. Drummed up and beat into the fed regs because of a lot of idiots in California that found out that lab rats got cancer when eating power cords. That sticker is on literally everything you buy now.

Not making fun or trying to be nasty here, but if there was a warning that said it was not suitable for this type of application, I wouldn't use it at all. I seriously don't believe that there is a problem with this.

I have two wonderful kids that have blessed us four grandkids, soon to be five grandkids.
'72 Standard

heliarc

Post by heliarc »

harryset wrote:It's paint, it will cure.
That's about how I see it.If you have to, run a heat gun along the heater channels and help it along before you have to drive it.

Also, the link you gave isn't working.Can you tell me what the stuff is?I can see it's from Eastwood but that's all.I'm going to be needing something like that myself pretty soon.
harryset

Post by harryset »

It works every time I click on it. :?: :?:

Go to Eastwood's site and it is highlighted on their home page. It's a rattlecan product, that has an nozzle on the end of about a 2' extension tube.

When I painted my heater channels, someone pointed out to me that I was only painting the inside of the heater tubes. I went back today, drilled two holes and sprayed the underside of the heater channels.

I painted in here, as far forward and aft as I could.

I painted inside the tube forward and snaked into the crevice behind the tube to paint the back of the heater channel.

I painted inside the front of the heater channels and inside the front firewall.

Snaked in and painted inside of the napoleon hat.

Drilled a hole under the heater tube to spray the innards of the heater channel. The spray is aggressive enough that when spraying the underside of the heatertubes, I had some coming out of crevices on the top side. From this hole I was able to spray all the way forward to the footwell outlet and all the way back to the heater tube inlet.

You can see that this stuff is pretty watery. . . but it leaves a really nice coating.

Now I've got some clean up to do so I can start on the sound deadening package.
'72 Standard

heliarc

Post by heliarc »

Ok the link worked for me now, might be something with my ISP or the idiot behind the keyboard.Looks like some good stuff though, definitely going to get a few cans.

Thanks
heli-easy

Post by heli-easy »

That looks exactly like Zinc Chromate Primer, by the way it smears in your pictures.
You could buy a whole gallon for about as much as they want for that can.

I am going to look into making that nozzle that comes with their kit. Does any one have that kit and can measure the nozzle holes with a idle jet pin gauge? Would save me a little trial and error.
harryset

Post by harryset »

Now that you mention it, it smells like zinc chromate and has the same consistancy.
'72 Standard

heli-easy

Post by heli-easy »

I might just buy a kit from them to get a nozzle.

I have been meaning to try to make something like this for a while now. $20 isn't bad for what it is.
Eastwood has too many cool things I want, but I can't afford to buy them all!

I thought Zinc Chromate also cause the zinc is a rust converter like they are advertising, and it has lots of health warnings like was listed earlier.

I believe chromate primers are HIGHLY toxic when in an airborne state. Being sprayed, or as a sanding dust.
As a coating in its normal dried state it is safe as long as you are not eating food off it. It might gas a little when first exposed to the heater heat if any of the solvents are still trapped in the coating (right after being applied). After that there is nothing to become airborne.