I need some support haha (Dialup Beware)

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
Can Drive Soon

I need some support haha (Dialup Beware)

Post by Can Drive Soon »

It obviously needs a body off resto with new floors and channels which it will get eventually, but I lack a garage to do such a task but I will start doing stuff here and there and I will keep this thread updated. This is my first time doing body work/rust repair. You can see a spot I did on the back on the driver front fender. I;ve heard of the HCl and ospho duo for combating rust. Theres no ospho to be found around here but I found some naval jelly which has the same active ingredient and it worked nicely on the light surface rust I tested it with.

So some questions. The headlight buckets, lower corners of the doors, and the bottom of the decklid are rusted pretty bad, are these salvagable/fixable. I want to keep the car as original as possible. Next, I haven't seen any good threads on undercoatings, suggestions?

Best order of work?

Code: Select all

Sand till bare metal 
             Process 1                                                          Process 2
rust treatment if rust is manageable                 cut out old rustmetal and replace with new 18 ga metal in
          acetone wipe                                                        sand welds
         light primer coat                                                 beat with hammer
        beat with hammer                                                    acetone wipe
            scuff sand                                                            bondo
              bondo                                                    sand then primer till paint?
    sand then primer till paint? 

Time to start taking off the fenders. First thing to do is take care of the lights.

Inside is in mint shape surprisingly.

All the bolts were globbed over with undercoating and rusty anyway.

Was unable to get the drivers side off tonight do to the horn wiring which goes under my half full gas tank.

Thanks for the input!
Sneaks

Re: I need some support haha (Dialup Beware)

Post by Sneaks »

If you can't find ospho, do you have a hardware store nearby? Go to the concrete supply department, read the labels until you find one with the right stuff. I got mine at my local ACE Hardware, both muratic and phosphoric acids were there in gallon jugs. In my store, both happen to be labeled exactly as the acids but I did find some other products as well that were the same thing, just in weaker solutions. I know you can get them at pool supply stores as well, but my hardware store is about 500' from my house so it was much easier to just go there